1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa Speaker Replacement suggestions??(non-neo)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by drasticDUB, Apr 13, 2009.

1. drasticDUB

drasticDUB Guest

Mar 13, 2008
    Hey all,
    I have a Mesa Vintage Powerhouse 2x12, and I thought it would grow on me over time, but I have come to the realization that I don't like Neo magnets on speakers. It's just not deep enough in the low end, I feel??

So, Anyone have any recommendations for some ceramic magnet style speaker replacements for this cab?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Sell the cab and buy whatever you like. That cab was designed specifically for those neo drivers, using something else will most likely sound like ass

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    The tone of a speaker cabinet comes from a lot of variables the least of which is the material that comprises the magnet. Do as the good RickenBoogie suggests and find a cabinet you do like.

Paul

4. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    +1, and as you can see from my avatar I own the same cabinet. Its a three way front ported design specifically engineered for those drivers. You might get lucky with new drivers, but the outcome with the highest likelihood is disappointment. Those cabinets fetch a premium around here. I'd take advantage of that and find something else.

5. lawsonman

lawsonman

Dec 19, 2005
    NW IL
    Not enough bottom out of a 212 Mesa?! I see you're running a Fathom head.With that combination I wouldn't mess with it.Like the others have said,sell it as is.