Mesa Stereo Power Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by saikkpe, Mar 17, 2006.

1. saikkpe

Dec 29, 2003
    Has anyone tried Mesa tube power amps with bass? Do you think that 20-20 or 50-50 would be enough with small jazz band? How much these amps weigh?

At the moment I'm using 2x350 W SS power amp, but I would like to try tubes. Any opinions?
  2. 34 Blues

34 Blues

Oct 2, 2005
    I have a 20/20 connected to a Rocktron Prophesy, & 2 Rocktron 12" speakers for guitar. Never put a bass into it because I only have bass combo amp & no external speaker, but for a guitar, this little unit kicks some serious tail. It doesn't weigh much, couldn't tell you the exact amount because it is in the rack with the Prophesy & a rack tuner, but it does not weigh much at all. With just the 2 12" speakers, it's big enough to play any club I've ever been in. Again, this is from a guitar amp, not a bass.
  3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I used to use a 20/20 and two 210 cabinets to create a sort of hyper Bassman type deal. It does sound cool, but distorts at fairly low volumes due to it's low headroom. I think it could be made to work with a small jazz band, sure.
  4. BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    I'd go for the Carvin 100Watt tube power amp - because it's bridgeable.

Plus you'll want to be relatively clean for you jazz gig.

Maybe you could get the carvin and retrofit it with some of those new JJ KT77's for a bit more headroom and maybe replace preamp tubes with JJEcc832's for more clean headroom in the driver

Just a thought:D :bassist: