1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa Strategy Eight: 88 - Boost Function??? Owners Please Chime In

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by scottrolf, May 29, 2016.

1. scottrolf

scottrolf Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Diamond Bar, CA
    I just received my brand spankin' new Strategy Eight: 88 and am really, really loving it.
    One weird thing is, the manual nor online videos do not mention the push/pull BOOST function on the GAIN knob. In the videos, a close up of the amp face does not have it at all. Through experimenting, I decided that pushed IN activates the BOOST and pulled OUT deactivates it.

Is my version so new that the manual does not even show nor talk about it?
    Is there a proper way to use it in conjunction with the other EQ-ing attributes?

Thanks,

2. See if the company has an updated manual on line.
    These days a lot of manuals are 16 pages long because they are in 16 languages.
    Updating them before it ships is not possible or is not a priority.
    I've got professional broadcast gear at work that has features not shown even in the on line manuals.
    The software/firmware version of the gear is well out ahead of the software version of the available manuals.
    So this is not uncommon.
    If you don't see the proper manual, contact the company.

3. scottrolf

Jul 13, 2011
    Diamond Bar, CA
    You're right, the Mesa site does show and mention it but this is all it states.

"A PULL BOOST feature on the GAIN control provides additional gain in the preamp allowing a progressive sweep from subtle fur at the middle range of the control, on up to aggressive overdrive at the maximum setting."

Even though it's called a PULL BOOST, the boost appears to engage when pushed IN and not PULLed out.
    EDIT: I'm probably taking the labeling too literally. Probably just stating that the BOOST function is "here" by pushing or pulling on the knob to activate and deactivate.

4. That's as much as I've seen in a lot of recent looks at manuals. Maybe lost in translation(multiple translations)?
    PULL BOOST, might be PULL/BOOST. The slash originally meaning, OR, then left out in a language that doesn't use that convention?
    PULL is NORMAL, PUSH is BOOST? It fits the logic of the operation you described, but not worded that way.
    It seems that you have it figured out in spite of someone's best efforts to confuse you.

5. scottrolf

Jul 13, 2011
    Diamond Bar, CA
    Thanks for the help.

6. Glad to be of help, but you did the heavy lifting.

7. scottrolf

Jul 13, 2011
    Diamond Bar, CA
    I was just playing my Sadowsky NYC PJ and noticed the boost on that operates the same way.
    IN to boost. OUT to bypass.

8. In is almost always on as push buttons go. If it's a momentary switch going to a digital input, IMO it should almost always have some sort of indication like an LED or change in a display if there is one.

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  9. smithcreek

smithcreek Supporting Member Commercial User

May 18, 2015
    Westerly, RI
    Luthier/Owner, Christopher Bass Guitar and Smith Creek Mandolin
    I have a Prodigy that has the same issue, except on mine if I pull the boost switch half-way out it clearly boosts the gain, but when I pull it all the way out it decreases the gain compared to all the way in. I contacted Mesa, described exactly what was happening and they said bring it to a repair center and have it fixed. The closest repair center is over an hour drive, and I don't really use it so I have not had it done yet. I'm wondering if anyone that owns one of these amps with the pull boost can confirm that it does work by boosting when the knob is pulled out.

10. scottrolf

Jul 13, 2011
    Diamond Bar, CA
    My Strategy doesn't have a half-way position. Just OUT and IN.
    As I mentioned earlier, my Sadowsky bass has the same function. IN for boost and OUT for bypass. So it looks to be normal and not an issue.

11. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Not these amps but every other mesa I've had/used with a pull boost it was pull for boost. Sounds like you guys got some defective switches.

12. scottrolf

Jul 13, 2011
    Diamond Bar, CA
    Your post is confusing.
    Are you saying that your Gain Push/Pull knob has three positions? It's only suppose to have OUT and IN.
    Please explain how you are able to pull it half-way out.

smithcreek likes this.
  13. markmck79

markmck79 Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2013
    Texas
    The "Pull Boost" on my Prodigy works exactly as the OP describes; the in position is boosted, while pulled out is lower gain. I had the same question months ago and was told this was normal/intended operation by Mesa tech support on the phone.

scottrolf likes this.
  14. smithcreek

May 18, 2015
    Westerly, RI
    My knob only has two positions, in and out. But as I pull it from in to out, about half-way out the gain increases. I can get the knob to stop halfway by carefully pulling it out. Once I pull the knob all the way out, like you would normally, the gain decreases to less than all the way in, just like you describe. I explained it to Meas CS and they said get it fixed, so I guess it's a faulty switch/knob.

15. smithcreek

May 18, 2015
    Westerly, RI
    Funny, kind of the opposite I was told, but I'm not sure the CS rep I emailed really understood what I was saying. Just calling it a Pull Boost is confusing. Seems like that would mean "pull" the knob to get the "boost" in gain.

16. markmck79

markmck79 Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2013
    Texas
    Agree that it is confusing labeling. That prompted my original call to Mesa.

17. scottrolf

Jul 13, 2011
    Diamond Bar, CA
    Thank you very much for chiming in.
    I'll consider this case CLOSED.
    Thanks again.

18. scottrolf

Jul 13, 2011
    Diamond Bar, CA
    You can do the same with a light switch but it's designed to flip on and off with a little authority.
    I'm thinking there is nothing wrong with your switch. Just pull as normal.
    When you're gradually phasing between two positions (like a pick up switch) it's possible to get an unwanted signal.

smithcreek likes this.
  19. smithcreek

May 18, 2015
    Westerly, RI
    That could be true. It was the combination of calling it a "pull boost" along with the fact that as I pulled it the gain boosted, and I can easily get it to stay boosted if I only pull it half way out, that had me thinking my switch might be faulty.

20. DiMarco

DiMarco

Feb 4, 2010
    the Netherlands
    Is this a new feat or should my prodigy have this too? Either way when turning up the gain I get uneven breakup, where my E is overdriven and G still clean. Utterly useless so I'm using a Darkglass overdrive pedal instead.

The Prodigy sucks at tubey overdrive.