1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa Subway 115 Paired with 112, 210 or 115?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mam1862, Oct 28, 2018.

1. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Northfield, Ohio
    I have the 115 with the 112 and it’s pretty good. My amp is the D800 +. I feel like two 115’s would be the way to go. I know it’s a matter of personal taste but I asking if you are using two of these cabs what two and why or what some opinions are. Thanks.

2. It would help if we know why you feel two 15’s would be the way to go.
    What do you hope to accomplish?
    Otherwise you may ( ugh... will) get a lot of non-relevant information.
    (As if...)

Balog likes this.
  3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    From experience with all of the cabinets, this is very much a personal taste thing, the combinations of different cabinets in the line (yes, for the mixed cabinet police they have been thoroughly engineered to work together in the possible combinations seamlessly) bring different tonal profiles to the table.

Every player has different tastes, different needs. For this reason, the mixing and matching allows some fine tuning that each player can configure to their taste. Because of this, I do recommend that if you have the opportunity to try the cabinets out in the different combinations, it may open up options that you might not have considered otherwise. There is no one combination that I would feel comfortable recommending because of this.

Hope this helps.

4. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Northfield, Ohio
    For a long time I was using a 4 ohm 212 cab. Now that I’m back to using two cabs and if I were to match them up I would prefer to try two 115’s instead of two 112’s. I should have not have said two 115’s is the way to go as I am just curious on how the 115’s would sound verses the other pairings.

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    It is personal preference, and for ME, 2 115's is the bee's knees. I prefer the deep, clear, snappy sound of the 115 and having two of them is just that much better.

6. phillipkregg

phillipkregg Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    It's good to know that the cabs are engineered with mixing in mind!

If I may ask, is there any special technique that Mesa employs to allow mixing/matching of these subway cabs that other manufacturers don't do? Just curious because most TBer's tend to frown on cab mixing in general.

7. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Yes, an understanding of the math and filter model theory that underlies the basic principles of how acoustic summation works.

8. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Supporting Member

I have 2 115 subway cabs and they are all I need for now. Fantastic sounding cabs...

agedhorse likes this.
  9. _Some Dude

_Some Dude

Sep 14, 2016
    I started with the 15 and 12. It sounded great, but the 12 has a lot of mids and I had difficulty slotting myself into my bands mix and found myself in a volume war with one of the guitars.

I switched to the 112 for a 212, which is a bit more scooped in the middle mids and brighter in the high mids. It had me sitting in the mix better, fought less with the guitar to be heard and my attack started poking through the guitars in the upper mids I a way I really dig.