1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa Subway 1x12 vs. AudioKinesis Hathor 1203

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tom Gotsch, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Audiokinesis Hathor 1203

8 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Mesa Subway 1x12

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Tom Gotsch

Tom Gotsch

Sep 30, 2018
    Chicago, IL
    Hey there.

Has anyone A-B'd these two cabs? I've done a bit of research on both, and I've seen different perspectives on the mesa, but I would love to know how they compare. Does the front or rear/plug porting affect the sound at all?

I've read that the mesa is clean, but I've also read that it's sorta wooly.
    I haven't really found that much about the sound characteristics of the Hathor.

Thanks!

2. The Audiokenisis thread has tons of testimonials. I’d be willing to bet your comparisons are there. I’ve yet to get my hands on one but hope to in the very near future. I currently use mostly Bergantino. (Prior cabs, Aguilar, Schroeder, Eden) Another thing that I find noteworthy is that many owners have moved to AK from other highly respected builders.

AudioKinesis Cabs Part VI...

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  3. I’ve also played the Subway cab and it did not sound wooly to my ears at all.

Tom Gotsch likes this.
  4. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    You simply can't go wrong either way. It just depends on what you want, and on your budget.

I have the Subway 112 (and 115's) and an AudioKinesis Changeling 112 (same as Hathor, just has an extra rear firing mid), as well as a Barefaced Super Compact (and formerly a Super Midget).

Soundwise, the biggest differences are that the Hathor is deeper on the bottom end, crisper in the mids, and does not have a tweeter. So if you want sizzle, the Hathor is not for you.

The Subway 112 is rounder sounding, with more in the low mids. It's a little boxier sounding, and does not have that crisp midrange that the Hathor does since the Hathor has a dedicated paper cone mid driver. The Mesa has a fantastic tweeter, so if you want to dial in some sizzle you can do it with the Mesa.

Construction wise, either is top notch. The Mesa has tolex and is overall a more 'luxurious' feeling cabinet. Both are rock solid.

Transport wise, the Hathor is much easier to move around. The handle design is genius.

Overall, I'd say the Hathor is a better single cab solution, and it's cheaper. The Mesa works better paired with the Subway 115. And yes, the port plugs on the back of the Hathor make a huge difference. You can go from ported to sealed, with tuning frequencies in between. The mid switches also make a huge difference.

5. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Owned/gigged both. Still have the H1203 and C1203T. The Mesa is a great cabinet, but I don't care for the form factor (too deep). I often am playing tight spaces, and like as shallow a cab as possible. Also, as noted above, the Hathor is about the easiest carry out there due to the handle placement and shape of the box. Combine that with the switching and ports you can plug, and you have multiple cabinets in one box.

The Mesa is a much more traditional cabinet, and sounds great. I typically don't like tweeters, but the one in the Mesa is done well. The Mesa does look cooler than the Hathor. But the Hathors have done more gigs and remain in the house longer than any other amp stuff I've had the last 10 years.

6. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I have owned both. IMHO the Hathor is a far superior cab....more versatile...better form factor/ lighter...a little louder/ more power handling...but uglier finish.

FWIW I sold the Mesa and still have the 1203. If I could have only 1 small cab, the 1203 would be it. As it happens I also have a pair of Genzler 10-2 arrays that I love.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018