1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa Subway D800+ Still Satisfies... Gawd Does She Ever...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sludgetail, May 6, 2019.

1. Thank you for this. I had a Mesa Boogie 400+ for years and sold it when I "retired" from gigging. I've been looking to get back in the game and have been reviewing the stuff that's out there now. I've been thinking about the Tonehammer but I keep going back to Mesa. I don't want the weight of another big tube head. I had the Powerhouse Jr cab (4 Celestions 8's and an Eden 12) and have been reluctant to take the neodium plunge.

ThinCrappyTone and sludgetail like this.
  2. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    I didn’t mean to try and derail this thread. Sorry I nearly hijaked it. The D-800 and Plus are fantastic amps and I loved the D-800+ while I had it.

sludgetail likes this.
  3. Backdrop

Backdrop

Feb 2, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Cheers man! Enjoy the cab. I'm going to miss it but glad it went to a good home.
    Everyone in the warehouse heard and felt you test it out. :thumbsup:

sludgetail and diegom like this.
  4. WardEarth

WardEarth Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Anchormanville, CA
    So is the wd800 - 800/800+ Relationship similar to the Genz streamliner - shuttle relationship?

They’re all prob very different amps, just speculating

sludgetail likes this.
  5. Systolic

Systolic Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    Has anybody compared the D800+ to the Subway+ preamp? Should be the exact same front end, but I think @agedhorse said that there is a little secret sauce in the power amp section of the D800+. I wonder how far apart/different they are.

sludgetail likes this.
  6. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    OP, if you like the D-800+...g'head and check out the WD-800.

It's like Whomp City, for real.

(I've owned and gigged the D-800, D-800+, and now the WD-800.)

/\/\3phist0 and sludgetail like this.
  7. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    You guys are killing me! I've posted a few times in the Mesa Subway threads that my D-800 is a fantastic sounding amp, will almost certainly handle any playing situation I ever find myself in, is a small and lightweight package, and gives me absolutely NO reason to consider replacing it. And I've meant it every time I said that.

But then I read posts like this that go on and on about the D-800+ (as well as threads that do the same about the WD-800) and the wheels start turning. Should I upgrade? Yeah, sure, why not upgrade? It does everything the D-800 can do - and more. And more is more, right?

Arrrrgh!!!

:D

ThinCrappyTone and sludgetail like this.
  8. sludgetail

sludgetail Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2018
    Orange, CA
    badass setup man, we're getting ready to record this month too -- excited to get it in there and a/b it with some other stuff... guessing I will use this for the entirety of the record! thx brother!

ThinCrappyTone likes this.
  9. sludgetail

Feb 26, 2018
    Orange, CA
    hehe yeah man he did us right all around. quality, well thought-out design and what a gift to have the insight and support and someone who listens to players' needs right here in the forum. I don't know anywhere else where that's happening. right on!

ThinCrappyTone likes this.
  10. sludgetail

Feb 26, 2018
    Orange, CA
    agree wholeheartedly my friend, and thank you so much for the kind words =] have an awesome week!

klejst likes this.
  11. sludgetail

Feb 26, 2018
    Orange, CA
    Sorry I just now realized what multi-quote was for... well, I guess one of its uses lol. My bad.

I don't blame you man, I checked out more than my fair share of heads when I was getting ready to spend my cash and kept coming back to Mesa and the D800 / D800+... once I heard them with the Subway cabs, it was all over... good luck with whatever you decide on -- only you will know what's got the sauce for your sound! thx brother!

Not at all man, that's what I wanted is to get a lot of insight and compare the two amps -- from people who have played both, no hijacking no delta force in effect! thx for the help and insight!

Fernando! What's up man!!! I'm glad you're on here! Thanks so much for the PHAT cab and great price! Definitely cherish this thing, and what a wallop! I didn't wanna go too crazy at the warehouse but damn if she doesn't sound great with that head! Lookin' fwd to checking a show brother, the joints on the band camp were awesome, I really dig that DUST tune. Talk to you soon my friend and keep me posted! Thx again.

I keep hearing this too -- both from people and the demos by people who have heard/played/owned both. What I love about the D800+ is that wallop and that fat (not sure if it's baked-in) tone in the low-end that just envelopes your entire being in bass... it's got a lot of authority... it reminds me of the Bootsy sound, but dial in a little high-end and it's a metal player's dream as well... I don't know what separates the two, but I can hear subtleties here and there, albeit from internet demos. I'd love to grab one (and may do so today after this thread and all your guys' help) and see for myself. My fear is that I will love them both and that they'll be just different enough that I'll have to keep both lol. Ah, Andy. Mesa. Why?? :)

I'm on it my man, for sure, thanks for the take on these two... anything different you hear between the low end on the two amps -- is there more of something in the D800+ that's not in the WD and/or Vice-Versa?? I'm always down for Whomp City, perfect vacation spot!

Seriously, I feel the same way right now my friend... only with the D800+... and it's okay to feel it, since they're both Mesa :) But the D800 is nothing to scoff at -- serious amp, and I know a ton of players who prefer it to the other two, owned both, sold the 800+ and kept the 800... right now in the classifieds, a guy is selling the WD and wants a head with less knobs... and I totally get that... so definitely to each his own. If the D800 fits the bill, that thing hits hard and if it is the genetic father of the other two amps, I think you're in great hands... but yes, it's fun to lust and look too :)

ThinCrappyTone and Backdrop like this.
  12. mmbass21

mmbass21 Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2016
    Florida
    For me my D800+ is my backup to the WD. The WD does everything the D800+ can and so much more. It has mid section that is more alive and it's a hot knife through butter for cutting through the mix. It just has this heft and growl that I can't explain it has to be heard and felt. The damping control just brings that tube warmth which is more of a feeling than what you hear.

Both are awesome but the WD is the best amp head I've ever played on and I've had a bunch over the years. I bought it the day they came out and I'm not looking back, it's amazing. @agedhorse designed a real winner

13. Turbo Sparky

Turbo Sparky Supporting Member

May 14, 2018
    South Eastern U.S.
    The D800+ was a great lightweight amp for me. While she didn't have the exact tone I was chasing/seeking, for me, if GK didn't have more of the tone I love, the D800+ would probably still be in/on the rig.

Glad you have found your mate!

sludgetail likes this.
  14. five7

five7 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Denver
    Loved mine until every pedal I plugged in developed a ground hum. My WA works fine with them. The 800+ does have some serious wallop though.

sludgetail likes this.
  15. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    I like their new cabs with old RB series GK heads.

sludgetail likes this.
  16. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Similar concept between the models, though obviously different amps.

sludgetail, WardEarth and mmbass21 like this.
  17. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Well, I apparently decided to stop looking and lusting. I gave in and just bought a D-800+ from the TB classifieds a few minutes ago. :D

18. sstillwell

sstillwell

Nov 20, 2008
    Y'know what makes me feel good? I LOVE that WD-800...but I have no desire to replace my D-800+ The 115 and 215 cabinets are things of awe and glory...but I also love my 2 x 112 cabinets. I think the others may in fact be BETTER than what I have, but they're mostly just a different flavor of awesome...and that's okay. Thank you, Mesa (and you, @agedhorse ), for continuing to raise the bar and still letting me keep my sanity...and food on the table. :)

agedhorse and sludgetail like this.
  19. sludgetail

Feb 26, 2018
    Orange, CA
    Yessss that’s how this tone disease here works my friend!

Congratulations and get ready for some serious thump!!

20. sludgetail

Feb 26, 2018
    Orange, CA
    Man I hear you!! when the day comes, and I’ve sold off enough other stuff, I wanna grab that 215 or the 410 bad.... both calling my name... or just another 115 to go with mine.

Hear you loud and clear and there’s nothing like loving what you’ve got! Cheers my friend.