1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa Subway D800+ Still Satisfies... Gawd Does She Ever...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sludgetail, May 6, 2019.

1. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

Heh.
    @sludgetail . Firstly I wish I could be in socal at Bomb Shelter, James and Britt are old friends. Steve is also. @tonyp is a super cool dude.

Early adopter of Mesa D800. Came over to it from Titan V12. Having previously owned genz Benz I was stoked to see what @agedhorse would come up with, so much so I bought it without ever touching it or seeing it outside of the factory .
    Did not move off the rock when the plus was introduced I was just so floored and in lust with the juicy chewy tones the D800 delivered. I had an HPF in my chain so the Plus didn't call loudly to me.
    What I did miss was the intangible "something" in the mid-range texture that the Titan had, the mids are where it's at for me.

Fast forward, 3 years several 100 hours on the D800 and SW112/115 stack, during which Andy tolerates my whining about wanting a Titan with a class D power.

I don't have the second channel, but the rich mids and texture I was missing, the harmonic complexity, the slight jangle to the highs, the solid low mids, the bloomy depth of the Titan .... And the tightness the HPF brings to that.... Afforded to me by the WD800. It's para, and the passive mid !
    @dave64o glad you stepped up ;)
    I'm happy no gas (until .. :) we all know Andy still cooking up good stuff yet to be seen.
    I'd say get the WD under your fingers ASAP.

IMG_20190504_225038626.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  2. Coot

Coot

Nov 14, 2018
    Winnipeg,Canada
    I have the WD-800 and the D800+ , both are set up through different cabs . Ported for the WD and sealed for the 800+. These are two heads that I will NEVER sell and I've gone through many.In my opinion they are works of art. Almost every head I've had or used had something that wasn't quite right. Like having a great sound but loud hissing in idle, overheated too fast, intrusively loud fans , no( usable) juice past 3:00 , out-weighs a cinder block, crappy customer service, loose or cheap knobs , no tuner out, 1/4 inch outs only, no headphone availability, no 2 ohm( 4/8 only)..etc. I haven't found a flaw in this series yet.( happily).. PS they look classic too...

lomo and sludgetail like this.
  3. sludgetail

sludgetail Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2018
    Orange, CA
    /\/\3phist0 what's up brother, that's awesome... James and Britt are nice ppl man, I genuinely love that rehearsal spot too... we've tried others and I always want to come back there because of not only the nice rooms and rates but because of the great service -- they are always there to lend a hand and everything is always nice and clean... we recently tracked drums with James and he did it right. Real Bob Rock with the mic setup and some serious kick and pump in that Manley Analog rack he's running.... yeah man, I haven't met Tony or Steve or the guys, but definitely seem like genuine dudes and I'm excited about checking out all the gear there.

I too am forever-curious about all the new stuff on the horizon via Andy and Mesa... if the last few releases (D800+, WD800, the new Subway Cabs) are any hint as to what to expect and the direction everything is headed, I'd say we are in the golden age of gear and stuff that not only sounds beyond my wildest dreams good, but also is crazy light and PURE / REAL quality -- there's nothing like the build on these cabs, and like you, I've tried them all over the years.

I feel you on the Titan -- while I never played one, I heard plenty of them, and they were definitely part of my lust build-up for Mesa gear for sure... what you say and what is echoed by others about the WD800 has caused me to take the leap... I'll definitely keep you guys posted! Thanks again and hope to catch you at one of these joints one day my friend.

Edit: PS Badass rig!!! I dig that bass too!!!

agedhorse and /\/\3phist0 like this.
  4. sludgetail

Feb 26, 2018
    Orange, CA
    I'm with you man, nothing compares/compared for sure, especially on the quality-tip you touch on... from the knobs to the blown speakers to trying to dial-in an actually useful EQ and the noise -- it's been a blessing for us players. I came from the old school SWR stuff and even though I was in my teens and early twenties playing that stuff, it was the real deal for me. When I finally heard the Mesa heads, talking about Andy's designs, I didn't hesitate at all... it was everything I loved, but with way more bottom, tons of thump and a lot of useful EQ that I could dial in and the stuff sounds better than anything I could've dreamed-up back then... hoping once I receive my own WD800 that I decide to keep both -- I hope there's enough difference there to justify it and that I still love the 800+ just as much as day-one (which is what I'm guessing will happen). Thanks brother!

Coot and Element Zero like this.
  5. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    cool, another happy love story with the D800+.

I have one myself, but its the WD800 that gets all my love since I got it a month or so ago. The D800+ introduced me to the Subway line, and its a damn nice amp with great features, but as a long time Walkabout devotee, the more Carbine flavored D800+ just does not do it for me like the very WA flavored WD800.

great amps all around and aren't we blessed to have a dude like agedhorse around here to listen to us and deliver such great options for bass players. so cool. :thumbsup:

enjoy!

Coot, Element Zero, agedhorse and 2 others like this.
  6. sludgetail

Feb 26, 2018
    Orange, CA
    all you guys are pure evil. little devils on my shoulder...

I just sold my AKAI MPC that's been sitting in the closet for the last few years and sent it off to a great home where it can go make beautiful music.

WD800 is on order... will be here next week.

biggest fear now, is loving them both so much I am "forced" to keep them both.

sadly, biggest fears often get realized...

Element Zero and /\/\3phist0 like this.
  7. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    All of the Subway models are based on many conversations and threads here on TB, just general comments and thoughts often carry a lot of insightful meanings.

Sanchan, One Way, eff-clef and 4 others like this.
  8. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ

0090DF24-3E6C-4507-96BB-5CA4F29F2807.

Talkbass.com, the web site where the members are even more skilled as enablers than they are as bass players!

/\/\3phist0 and sludgetail like this.
  9. sludgetail

Feb 26, 2018
    Orange, CA
    This is what I love about these amps the most. Aside from the genius behind the pieces and what they do, I think it’s vital to have that finger on the pulse of your biggest supporters.

As players who will end up shelling out the dough regardless, we’re blessed to have this, and along with the great tone, high quality/attn to detail, this was one of the biggest (and most evident factors) that pushed me to make the leap towards the subway gear right down the deep end.

Thank you for this (and a lot more).

Hahaa I love it. And love that we make no qualms about it nor have any shame in doing so... I also like that we don’t have a G.A.S. Recovery Anonymous forum here. We are all in this mess together :)

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  10. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    I listen carefully to those who aren't supporters too, I want to know what they like and don't like about what they are playing.

11. Coot

Coot

Nov 14, 2018
    Winnipeg,Canada
    They each have a distinct voice.. especially with sealed and ported cabs .. I found I preferred the WD through ported with HPF at eleven and Damping on medium for old school tube tones.. The 800+ kicks ass through the sealed cabs, that nice low mid thump but with crisp tones. Both are keepers .Aged horse has done it again !! Rock On..

eff-clef, agedhorse and sludgetail like this.
  12. bassmeant lows

bassmeant lows

May 15, 2018
    Tucson
    I know it may not be a fair comparison but could you give your analysis on the 800+ vs Aguilar 751? I know the Aggie is a different beast but I am curious? How would you compare the two playing more aggressive music?

Thanks in advance*

13. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I own the 800+ and an Aggie 751. I have not done a direct comparison between the two but the Aggie is voiced differently to the 800+, with more weight apparent in the bass and low mids to my ears. The 800+ is certainly more versatile and I sense would more easily give you an aggressive edge if that is your thing. The 751 has a huge weight behind each note that is unlike any other of the multitude of heads I have owned, it has a ton of grunt and seems almost impossible to overdrive which suits me fine as I like a clean sound. It is also significantly louder although the 800+ goes plenty loud anyway. As you say, they are two very different beasts but both will put a smile on your face.

sludgetail likes this.
  14. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    My D800+ honeymoon never ended...and yeah...it's strength is more on the Carbine/deep/wide/slammin' clean side... I remain curious about a WD800....but for now I have doubled down on my original Walkabout instead...she was sittin' in the corner smilin' at me all the while.....

sludgetail and agedhorse like this.
  15. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I can definitely see a WD800 in my future, but will probably move on the 800+ once I have compared the two at a gig. Can't justify keeping both.

16. sludgetail

Feb 26, 2018
    Orange, CA
    Hey guys, I completely forgot that you guys (in this evil thread) were the reason behind my WD-800 purchase :) Of course, the thread was geared towards the D-800+ and my everlasting affinity towards it... but yes, I'm now a proud owner of the MESA/Boogie WD-800 amplifier as well, and everything you guys mentioned in this thread about its distinctions, finally makes sense.

While this isn't a demo of the amp per se, I did shoot a little video with it on Saturday, and thought I'd share... the D-800+ is still my go-to for the beefy and tight funk, but the WD-800 is something else. Both are KEEPERS!

Here's the vid:

lomo, /\/\3phist0 and bassmeant lows like this.
  17. bassmeant lows

bassmeant lows

May 15, 2018
    Tucson
    :bassist:

sludgetail likes this.