1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa Subway DI for me?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by weedmanricker, Mar 31, 2018.

1. weedmanricker

weedmanricker

Sep 23, 2007
    ON, CANADA
    Im thinking of adding a mesa di to my arsenal but im not sure if a preamp is the right tool for my application.

This all started when I was looking to swap the pickups in my MIM jazz bass. A friend suggested a pre amp pedal instead. This appreals to me because then i can use it with all my passive basses as an extra tone shaper.

It would be used for 3 applications.

First is in from of my zoomb3 and headphone jamming by my self. I like the looper drum machine and some efx in the zoom but the amp and preamp models dont do much for me. Hoping the mesa would handle all the straight bass tone duties here.

Second is in the chain with my traynor yba 200. Either in front of the amp or possibly take the yba pre amp signal to the mesa and back into the power section or just run the bass into mesa into the power section.

Third is to use in front of the random amps i play thru at jams at peoples houses to give me a familiar eq to work with. Theres an assortment of ss and tube amps i play thru with little chance to experiment with and being able to quickly dial a nice tone woukd be appealing.

No live gigs, or recording. Wondering if ill get the value out of it? I hear great things about how it works with passive jazz basses and maybe it would give me a new spark to my tbird and ric 4003.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

2. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    The Subway Preamp/DI works great with passive Jazz Basses. Eliminates the “thin,” and gives you a boatload of options into power amps or FOH. Great Product.

weedmanricker likes this.
  3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Generally, it's best to use this preamp into the power amp unless the amp can easily handle higher level signals

weedmanricker likes this.