1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa Subway - Rattling handle

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bluejayway82, Oct 30, 2018.

1. bluejayway82

bluejayway82 Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2011
    Hi TBers,
    So I picked up a Subway 112 cab new a couple of months back. Love it - favourite sounding speaker that I've owned thus far. However, the handle has just started rattling when I play on certain stages to a point where it sounds like the driver has blown. I have a temporary fix, but has anyone else experienced this? Has Mesa addressed this issue? I'd like to get another Subway cab, but I'm hesitating because of this issue.

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    @agedhorse can give some insight.

That being said, I have three Subway cabs and none of them have rattling handles.

bluejayway82 likes this.
  3. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88

Sep 16, 2013
    Whitby
    Take off the handle and add a pair of rubber or silicone washers where it's rattling.

bluejayway82 likes this.
  4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Give customer service a call, they will get you taken care of. Be sure you have your serial number with you.

jeff7bass and bluejayway82 like this.
  5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

which is....?

jeff7bass likes this.
  6. bluejayway82

Nov 29, 2011
    Foam under the handle.. not an ideal solution.. but works in a pinch

7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

perfect!

so, you have this great cabinet and you wouldn't get a second one because the cabinet handle(s) rattle "on certain stages" even though some foam under the handle eliminates the issue? just asking...for a friend. thanks. :D

8. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Sounds like a permanent fix. I wouldn't worry about it. Nobody shoots 100 percent. Better it be something simple (non-fatal) like this as compared to defective speakers or across-the-board construction issues.

9. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    There are 2 different causes of handle rattle. The first is that sometimes the rubber grip rotates a bit and doesn't lay perfectly flat. Rotating the grip back usually fixes this.

The second cause is a bit of metal from manufacture breaks loose inside the spring housing causing the rattle. There is no quick fix for this, it must be replaced.

No worries, we will get this resolved for you under warranty.

petch, ppiluk, bluejayway82 and 4 others like this.
  10. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    Dont disassemble or replace anything until you've spoken with Mesa's customer service. As stated above it's under warranty, don't go voiding it...

bluejayway82 likes this.
  11. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I've had those handle rubbers rotate like that; that's an easy thing to try and see if it works.

agedhorse likes this.
  12. bluejayway82

Nov 29, 2011
    Seriously? Thanks for the quality input..