1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa titan circuit breaker. how many ampere on yours?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr. BassmanPT, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Mr. BassmanPT

Mr. BassmanPT

Aug 15, 2009
    Europe
    my original circuit breaker was 20 ampere.

the amp had a problem and the tech installed a 10 ampere circuit breaker.

i want to make sure this is correct.

the only way to know is for you to tell me how many ampere is yours. you can see that at the back, near the power plug.

i am also questioning this because:

i am in europe, over here voltage is 220V.

P=V x I = 220x10= 2200W

in usa, voltage is 110v

P=110x20=2200W

if this reasoning makes sense, then my amplifier has been correctly serviced and the original circuit breaker was too high for european use. if not i want to know for sure it is not ok so i can point this out to the tech guy.

let me know. also let me know if you are in USA or Europe.

regards

2. He is correct, at 220 you cut the 120 volt rating by 1/2.

3. Mr. BassmanPT

Mr. BassmanPT

Aug 15, 2009
    Europe
    if that is correct how can my mesa titan come with a 20 ampere circuit breaker installed on it from factory? hmm, i really would like to know what other titan owners have to say on this as it is pretty odd.

as a reference, in the manual it talks about the 20 ampere circuit breaker and the amplifier needing 18 ampere of juice in the louder settings. if this is in fact true, i cannot have a 10 ampere breaker installed.

4. The power draw and output are watts Voltage X amperage=watts. Raise the voltage and current draw (amps) goes down. Lower the voltage and current draw goes up. Are you reading the specs for 120 volt operation (USA mains) or 220 volt mains?

Of course wait for others if that makes you more comfortable ;)

5. Mr. BassmanPT

Mr. BassmanPT

Aug 15, 2009
    Europe
    i am in europe so it is 220V. my titan came with a 20 ampere circuit breaker when i bought it new.

when the amp came from warranty, the original circuit breaker had been replaced with a 10 ampere. the manual specifically says the titan has a 20 ampere circuit breaker.

but then i did the math. something is wrong. that is why i am doing this question. i need to know for sure.

6. Option one : Call Mesa Engineering
    Option two : Email Mesa Engineering

They are still in business and available from 9AM to 4PM PST, located in California, USA. They are nice people and very helpful. Be sure to tell them what voltage you plug directly into the amp head. :)

I'm out. :)

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    When you're running on twice the voltage, it makes total sense to have 1/2 the amperage....not to be confused with ohmage or cabbage.:D

It is a possibility yours shipped with an American fuse off the shelf, but had power supply for 220. Those California dudes don't always catch the details ya know.:bag:

I wouldn't worry at all about the amp tripping at higher power/output levels. I would actually take comfort in the fact you now have a 10 amp....for protection of the amp.