Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mesa triple rectifier

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mgamache65, May 22, 2005.

1. i have the opportunity to snatch a triple rectifier at an incredible price, would i be able to use this as a bass amp, i play mostly classic rock with two fifteens and sometimes a 2x10 and a fifteen (all mesa of course !)

2. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I don't know about bass, but if there is a guitar plugged into it, it will put out plenty of volume. You will need two combo amps to keep up with this one. Good Luck. :meh:

3. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    If anything....snatch up the Triple Rec at that good price and resell it to a guitar player at a profit! Those things are still way expensive and always in demand on the Ebay!

4. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    No kidding. You will get a 15-year old in a new "punk" band to get their parents to buy it from you ASAP on the 'Bay.

"But Mom! It's the best thing I can have!"

No. Seriously.

5. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Amen. Sell it for lots of cash then buy an actual bass amp with it.

6. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City

After reading the thread title I clicked on this thread to say the same thing. Should be able to get something that sounds far superior with the profit.

7. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    If you do buy it, please try it with the bass. I would be very interested to hear how it sounds!

8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I'm putting my money on "distorted mess" :bassist:

9. And I'm putting my money on "awesome." I love playing bass through my guitar amp.

10. Use it as a Preamp?

Thats about all the good I can see it being for bass- I know Duff McKagan (former Gunner & now Velvet Revolver bassist) uses a Marshell guitar head as a preamp sometimes with recording, and in concert.

11. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Ooh, ooh! I'll take that bet! I LOVE easy money . . . :hyper:

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    It sounds pretty good for bass as long as you like overdriven sounds.

The classic Tripple Rec sound is insanely distorted, but they have some really nice overdrive sounds that work good for blues and classic rock. The cleans are good too, you just have to know how to work it.

13. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Eh... I dunno. I dont even like how the Rectifier heads sound with clean guitar. The clean sounds like its almost got distortion on sometimes... and not really a good distortion. I get the feeling it'd be messy.

And why bother with that when you could make a good profit (like others said) off some kid who sees one on TV and wants one? It's easy money and you could totally get something more practical with the money you make.

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Notice that I didnt say that he should keep it. I just said that it can be made to sound good for bass.

The selling thing has been said so many times already and no one has really said what it sounds like with bass.

15. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Doesn't Rob Trujillo use a couple of these (or Dual Rectifiers) for distorted sounds (with bass still sounding thru his main rig)?

ANDRUCA

16. Yes and HE sounds like crap, too. Triple Rec's are one-trick ponies, and that trick is buzzsaw distortion for guitar.

17. ok....enough said !!!! i'am gonna get a mesa big block and be done with it ! :)

18. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    You should be quite pleased! :)