1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa tube head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by b-bottom, Apr 18, 2015.

1. b-bottom

b-bottom

Dec 18, 2006
    Knoxville TN
    Has mesa ever made a "classic" bass amp similar to the Mark "boogie" line for guitar?

2. BigBobbyBass

BigBobbyBass

Jan 23, 2015
    I believe the "classic" is the 400/400+.. If that's not it I'd have to say no..I can't think of one before them. There is also the buster.. I'm not sure which came first..

3. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    Buster came first

BigBobbyBass likes this.
  4. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    There is also the D180, which also came before the 400/400+, and may be considered a classic. Mesa never made bass amps in the same quantities as Ampeg, Fender or other "classics" (however you are defining that term). But they did, and do, make some great bass amps that have had a very loyal following over the years.

I would personally suggest that the Mesa Walkabout (hybrid) is well on its way to classic status, but again, it's very much a matter of how you define "classic"

enjoy!

Super Iridium likes this.
  5. BigBobbyBass

BigBobbyBass

Jan 23, 2015
    So when people talk about that "boogie sound" they're not talking about the 400/400+? I always thought that. When effect/pre companies model Mesas, it normally is the 400+. I guess the word "classic" means different things to different folks. Classic doesn't mean oldest, to me..

6. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I have no idea what we're talking about here.

I'd say the 400/400+ is the classic Mesa bass sound.

I'm not sure that I'd say the Mark series is the classic Mesa guitar sound, but I guess it was kinda the original.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  7. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    D180 is considered by many to be a classic bass sound, and it is very different from the 400/400+ with its unusual gain staging.
    Far more 400/400+ amps out there in the world though, so that probably drives the perception of them being more of the classic Mesa bass amp sound.
    from my perspective, it's just different flavors of good.

FWIW, Mesa bass amps generally follow the Fender tone stack approach, with active (cut and boost) bass and treble controls, with a passive mid control (cut only).

8. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    No, the Buster actually came last. First was the D180 in 82, then the 400 in 86, then the 400+ in 89, the Buster in the mid 90's.
    I too think the 400/400+ being the classic as there's more of those than anything else...the 400+ had about an 18yr production span.

slagbass and BigBobbyBass like this.
  9. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
  10. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    Matt Dean likes this.
  11. I've seen that ... I remember seeing a stack of old Basis M2000 heads - about 7 feet high in the corner of one of the assembly rooms.

12. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma