Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa users/lovers.. 410 + 210 Vs. 1516?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by popinfresh, Apr 5, 2005.

1. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hey guys, after the deal with the V8 went to the shi*ter I decided to have a good look around at my options.
    I'm pretty stuck on a new amp, but when looking around I found someone selling a Mesa 410 loaded with EV's and a Mesa 210. Both are going for $600 each.
    I payed $900 shipped for my Mesa 1516 cab, but think I could sell it for more, there was one that went on ebay for $1500 not long ago.

So i'm just wondering, to anyone who has compared a Mesa 410 + 210 or 610 against a 1516 or has owned both, whats the major difference between the two setups? What do you think would be the better option? I'm leaning towards selling the 1516, as much as I love the thing, if I sold that and got the 6 10's, I could sell both of my SWR cabs to get some more money for an amp (If i kept the 1516, i'd have to keep one of the SWR's to take to band practice as the 1516 is too big).
    The only thing then is that i'd be missing a 15" speaker, which i tend to like. Although the 1516 seems very hi-fi and high-end orientated anyway.

Another idea I had, was to keep the SWR 15", buy the Mesa 410", then have 410 + 15 rig. Then i'd sell the 1516, SWR 210 and my current amp, for a new amp.

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I don't think Mesa makes a 610, but I think that the 410 + a 115, 212, or 118 would be killer and probabally blow away the 1516. Dunno bout the 210 though.

3. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Oh sorry, wrote that badly.. In other words, I meant a 610 by using the 410 and 210 together. (Mesa do make a 610 though, according to their site)

I think i'l go with the 410 with EV's for now, and keep the SWR 15". Hopefully they'l go well enough together, even if it's just for now. Then i'll sell it later and get a 2x12 or 2x15 (Or just a 15 for portability). I'm a fan of 15's.. But most of my gigs have PA anyway..

Good news, the guy i was going to buy the Trace off is considering selling me his Sunn 300T in perfect condition.. I might take that offer.

Does that sound good? Lol.. I'm kinda confused with what i should do.. Should I run the SWR 15 with the Mesa 410, or would it be better suited to just run the Mesa 410 with the Mesa 210 and sell my SWR 15 as well.

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    The Sunn is an awesome amp!!!! Buy it! Buy it now!! :hyper: I've played one through a 215 and it sounded just so awesome! I'd say for now keep the 115, you may need some extra lows.

5. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hmmm, I just rang the guy. And he said that the 410 isn't actually a Mesa (It was listed as one though) but it's still got 4 EV 10's in it. He said it seemed to have a case built onto it and that it was really well contructed. Said it kinda had the same grill as his Mesa 210 (Which is a diesel i figured from his description, he didn't know). You don't think he could have a Road Ready 410 do you? Just the badge on the front is missing (It is on the lower half of my 1516).. I suppose they have Mesa/Boogie written on the input jack though or something?
    Anyway, i'll check it out and see what it's like tomorow. I think i will keep the 15" instead of the Mesa 2x10 for the lows, as i don't want to rely on PA for my low end, and I like 15" speakers. But I will try the 610's together.
    Heheh, i'm gonna try convince him to sell me the Sunn 300T.. He seemed kind of reluctent, but said he may need to sell it, in that case, he'll call me.

Also, he's lowered the price of both cabs to $500 each.

Gah, decisions. Anyone know what EV 10's are like in the general sense?

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

I don't know anything about Mesa cabs, but I would suggest you be careful. :)

Between deals falling through, mis-described gear etc...I'd be gittin' nervous about dealing with this guy.

7. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Ohh, sorry. This is a different guy I found in the local trading post newspaper.

Generally, would the 6x10"s give me more lows and punch than the 1516 on it's own?

8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Yes, but I wouldn't trust the 410 cab. Try it out before you buy it. Really push the cab too. A 410 with a 115 will give you all the lows you need, save if you get an 8-stringer.

9. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Mesa makes a 6x10.