Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa v-twin users????

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by debassed one, Aug 9, 2003.

1. debassed one

debassed one Guest

Jul 30, 2003
    san fran.,calif.
    recently been told, the mesa boogie v-twin pre-amp pedal works exceptionally well for bass. as volumn and tone boost. Others say the pots values in v-twin limit the fullness of the bass. anybody done hands on? what was your take on it. thanks

2. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Wow, I was just thinking of posting a thread like this... You must be psychic. :)

Could anyone describe the tone from these pedal? And does the rack version work well for bass too?

I'm looking for a slow engine-like sounding distortion, almost like a motorcyle engine sound. I've been trying to decide between the V--Twin (pedal or used rack), a Gallien Krueger DieselDawg, and a EH USA Big Muff Pi reissue. Can anyone help me decide?

Sorry to borrow your thread, but I figured since we're talking about almost the same thing :)

3. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Bump.

There's a V-Twin rackmount up on Ebay that I'm thinking of buying for use as a guitar pre and as a dirty channel for bass. Does anyone have any comments or experience with it?

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I've got one, and I like it. It doesn't sound like any of the pedals you've described. It sounds like a bass being played through a guitar amp that just so happens to work well for bass, if that makes sense. It does a good Cliff Burton distortion, but less fuzzy, and can cop some cranked SVT tones too. It does have a dendency to be lacking in low-end by itself, but in front of a bass amp it sounds fine.

One of my pals at Boogie uses one for direct bass recording. He claims to get great results with it.

Mesa will mod one for bass for you, but I'm not sure if that would be necessary.