1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa Venture 2x10 vs current Venture 2x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pfschim, Feb 17, 2008.

1. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I know there are several Mpluse 600 users here and a smaller handful of Venture players. I am working on doing a little rig updating (selling off some unused/less used gear) and looking hard at the Venture combo. I'm very happy with the combo format and and use a Walkabout 12 combo right now. It sounds great to me but maybe a bit headroom shy on my larger/louder/outdoor gigs. My thought is that the Venture would allow me a bit more headroom and a bit different tone pallet (i.e. per KJung, the 600 is NOT a bigger/louder Walkabout).

So, I have the opportunity to pick up an older, discontinued (not used) Venture 2x10 for a very good price; or, I can grab a newer version 2x12 model perhaps at a small discount from Mesa list.

Aside from the differences in the head (speakon's is about it I think) are there major differences in the 2x10 vs the 2x12. I'm guessing the 2x12 will be quite a bit louder, or at least it will project the Mpluse's 600w of power with a significantly "larger" sound.

The difference in price at this point is not the biggest factor, but the ~$400 I might save going for the 2x10 is nothing to sneeze at either. What I'm looking for is feedback on the differences I can expect between these 2 versions of the Venture. FYI, I have played the 2x10 and it sounds very good, even to my not-in-love-with 10's ears. I would also maybe consider adding a PH1x15 to flush out the sound for certain settings. I Don't have a ready way to try out the 2x12 though, thats part of the problem I'm facing.

so, any input ?

2. lawsonman

lawsonman

Dec 19, 2005
    NW IL
    I own the 212 Venture but I can't help you out much.I've never heard the 210 venture.I just happen to prefer the sound of 212's.

3. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    during many years of playing (since '69), I have really preferred the sound of larger vs smaller drivers (other than some very specific uses of SVT/810 cabs). So, 12's and 15's are typically my sound preference. But, as I mentioned, I did get to play the Venture 2x10 rig, and it sounded very good to me. I'm sure it would just kick butt with a PH1x15 underneath it too :bassist::bassist::bassist:

You have the newer 2x12, and I'm sure that sounds killer. I have a PH 1x12 that I use occasionally as an extension to my Walkabout combo, and I really love the tight focused sounds of those Mesa cabs.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Man, I wish I had something useful to say here. $400. difference? That's a tough one,....go for the 12's.

5. Here Here. I currently own a SWR SIlverado Special 2x12 combo and if I were to replace that I'd probably look very hard at the Venture. I played one a few weeks back and really liked the front end on the amp. Personally I wouldn't consider a 2x10 version... but that's just me. I like bigger drivers and have never been a fan of 10's particularly.

6. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    me too, other than on SVT/fridges for a very specific rock thing.

anyone been able to compare both of these combo's ?

7. jweiss

jweiss Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Park City, Utah
    I have the older 2x10 Venture combo. I fell in love with the new 2x12 Venture at a local shop after a/b'ing it with the Walkabout and then did some shopping around to see if there were used ones. I was in the same position as you - wasn't sure if they would sound very different.

Although I have not had an opportunity to play the 2x10 and 2x12 Ventures side by side, honestly my impression is that there wasn't much difference in the sound. Certainly not $500 worth of difference, which is what I save buying the used 2x10 Venture.

The main differences between the older ventures and the new ones are the old ones have separate passive and active input jacks on the front versus a single input jack and a switch on the new ones, and the new ones and also have a mute switch on the footswtich. The first change was made due to people having issues with unused jacks not working properly after a while (no problems with mine so far). Regarding the mute switch - it would be nice to have that for tuning, but I just turn the "solo" channel volume off and then when you switch to "solo" with the footswitch it is muted and you can still tune.

The older ones don't have the "player control network" stuff on the back.

Whichever way you go, you won't be disappointed!

Cheers,

Jeff

8. jweiss

jweiss Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Park City, Utah
    I just remembered one other difference - the newer models have built in wheels and a handle to tilt back the combo. My model has four removable casters on the bottom. I prefer the casters.

9. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I haven't compared these two specific items, but I will say that while I loved my Super Redhead 2x10, the 2 10's by themselves were nowhere near enough; nor have I ever found a 2x10 box I lied as a standalone...
    I'd go 2x12.

10. cacio

cacio

Apr 24, 2005
    Italy
    How much this combo weights?