Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa vrs. Ampeg

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Iruleonbass, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    well, as it turns out, it looks like were replacing our drummer with a drummer who actually owns his own set and doesn't have to use my brothers. So the new drummer doesn't have the space for a big amp to be left at his house. I could take it with me and move it back and forth I guess.

Anyways, with that said, the choices are an Ampeg 810 and CL Head or Mesaboogie walkabout scout 15" and 15" ext. Cabinet.

Now honestly I want the 810 more just becuase its a classic, a 300w all tube head. But with such a big reputation, it also carries big weight.

I guess all im really asking is will a Mesaboogie walkabout 215 stack, running at 2ohms (600w) Compare at all the the ampeg 810? Becuase I really want to be able to move it into my room or take it on vacation and just move it around a little if I need to. And none of that is possible with an 810.

2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    IMO, the Mesa is a far better amp (quality and tone) than anything Ampeg. Plus, the Mesa will let you transport your rig easier. Just leave one 15 at the drummer's place (if you trust him) and just tote your Walkabout back and forth.

You will end up with killer tone and portability.

BTW, have you ever had to move an 810? If so, imagine trying to load it into a car...by yourself! :eek:

3. mesa all the way. that is a rig most people would love to have and at some point in their playing careers will realize is so logical. the tone, portability and booty will be worth it and don't fool yourself you will still have a killer looking rig.

4. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Dude....

IMO, you need a Pre-Power rig. I know your probably scared of it or whatnot... but its so simple once you get it and hook it up. $900 for a preamp and lightweight poweramp (21lbs I believe is the weight of the RLX series)... and you'd have 1200Watts to organize. For another couple hundred you could get a tube preamp.

Cabs... you would have a ton of cash left over (with your apparent budget) to pick up Neo cabs of most any brand, or possibly a portable model like Schroeder that still cranks.

5. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    As much as I love Mesa gear (no way for the Ampeg junk), you can get an as-good sounding rig for cheaper and easier to move. I love Mesa stuff, and as soon as we get "signed" (hahahaha) I'm givin' em a call so my roadies can carry all my junk. Till then, a pre-power into a smaller, high-efficiency cab is the way to go!

6. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    How does a walkabout scout 115 sound, especially with another 15 added on? I've tried the 112 scout, and wasn't as impressed as I should have been.

7. i previously had the scout 12 and recently aquired the 15 along with ext cab ! i used the combo by itself last night with a four piece rock band with two guitarist with halfstack marshalls and had no problem keepin up, it has a lot more bottom than the 12 which would fart out around halfway turned up, i cant wait to try the full rig outside next week, last nite i only had to turn it up to about 4 ! (preamp on about 1:00) get it !!!!!!!!!!!

8. IMHO I would say go for the ampeg 810 E and CL. I own a ampeg 810 and run a gk 800rb on top. the ampeg sounds better than sex, but an all tube head is the way to go. The scout is hybrid( it think or maybe solidstate completely). As a matter of fact im saving up right now for, what do u kno, an svt cl. go for the ampeg. you wont be dissappointed. it worth the weight.

9. as far as comparing to a ampeg svt and 810 cab ;
    1. you can make the mesa sound like a ampeg but not vica versa
    2. the mesa rig weigh less than a third

10. as far as comparing to a ampeg svt and 810 cab ;
    1. you can make the mesa sound like a ampeg but not vice versa
    2. the mesa rig weighs less than a third of the ampeg
    3. the mesa is less costly to maintain
    4. about 1000.00 less expensive
    5. much better customer support
    6. and my wife doesn't complain about having to help me move it :)
    and yes i have had the full on svt rig in years past and i can vouch for the above..the mesa rules !!!!!!

11. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    Go for the walkabout. I was lucky enough to pick one up from GC while they were blowing them out for $480. I have a vintage 70's SVT as well. To be honest, I really haven't been using the vintage SVT and I have been considering getting rid of it! I have tried the preamp/power setup and other bass heads, but nothing comes close to the mesa on how it sounds like a full blown tube amp. It is very hard to tell the difference in tone between the vintage SVT and the mesa. Now, considering the weight issue, the the SVT weighs about 7 to 8 times as much as the walkabout! Unless you are a pro touring band with roadies, I wouldn't want to lug around an 810!

Disclaimer - My post is not a pitch to sell off my gear.

12. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I played a 15" walkabout scout a couple weeks ago and I was floored at the amount of tone coming from this little box!!!

I've always been a big Mesa fan, but the scout is amazing. No comparison between that and an Ampeg, IMO

13. BillisCool

BillisCool

Apr 16, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I use one Scout 15" and never have a problem or even close to a problem with volume... and my guitar player uses 3 amps.

I usually have my amp at about halfway for larger shows.

Oh, and I sold my SVT3Pro/SVT410HLF setup because the Mesa was just as loud, and just plain old had more mojo.

[​IMG]