1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa Vs. Ampeg

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ChrisMan123, Aug 11, 2007.

1. ChrisMan123

ChrisMan123

Aug 6, 2007
    any thoughts? who likes what? I want some opinions on Mesa Bass amps in comparison to other big name amps out there. I haven't had the chance to try a Mesa yet, no one has them.

2. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Mesa sounds huge. I love it. My head gives me a great vintage sound. It's a beast. I can get super clean if I want, but I can also run it dirty. My mesa 212 is the best cab I've owned thus far. MASSIVE bottom end from it. I've had an ampeg 810 and wasn't too impressed. It sounded huge, but for the size, I'd rather have two smaller cabinets. I don't like 10s much either, so running the 212 with a 210 is just right.

Basically it sounds good at any volume, but it sounds better the louder you turn up and the harder you push it.

I had a crappy ampeg head so I won't even bother comparing it here.

3. My local GC had a mesa walkabout scout in stock a few days ago. I tried it out, and was blown away, literally and figuratively. It was by far the loudest amp in the store. If I needed a small combo amp and had the money to spend, I would definitely by it.

4. casio

casio

Aug 1, 2007
    Croatia
    Well, talking about flagship amps, I own a mesa m-pulse 600 which I bought by trading my Ampeg SVT-CL in for it and adding ome cash!
    that should be enough for most, but I do have some things to add!

If you plan on playing plain old rock and like the ballsy tubey sounds, go with ampeg, cause thats what you get for less money!
    But what I love about the mesa is that you get all that and way more!:D
    the versatility of the amp still manages to blow my mind!
    my heart lies with mesa!

5. sjb64

sjb64

Aug 2, 2007
    Mesa! I love my Walkabout; it sounds great and is super portable. I've owned mine about 5 years and have no plans to ever replace it. The Scout 1X12 doesn't sound so good though; I play mine through a Ampeg Portabass 2X10 ironically. The Portabass 2X10 is much lighter than a Walkabout Scout combo as well.

6. Ampeg, mesa is nice, but, just not the same

7. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    Mesa is good, no doubt....but for me it's Ampeg....

8. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
    ampeg guys, does anyoen have anything to back up your arguments?

9. What do i need to back it up?

Mesa's sound ok, but they dont sound like an ampeg, and its that sound that i want and love playing with!

10. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    I said that I thought ampegs sound ok, but they aren't mesa... but I also backed it up with some of my opinions...

So far the ampeg support has been baseless.

11. Ive stated my opinions on ampegs countless times before, why do it again?

What do you need other than i prefer the sound of my ampeg over the sound of a mesa?

But ok, why not, seeing you folk are going to huff about this.

my SVT-II sounds big and mean, it sits in the mix perfectly, it cuts whilst not cutting too much, and also still fills the sound of the band.

The ampeg can get a big growley sound, or a really clear crisp sound (by dropping the gain using the graphic eq while having the master volume up). The ampeg can even get a good slap tone by dropping the eq gain and using the ultra low and ultra hi.

Ive not had any cab i havent liked the sound of when using this amp, the main two i use allow me to have two totally different sounds (Ported 2x15 vs Sealed 8x10), and no bass ive played through the ampeg has sounded anything short of phenomenol.

Ampeg support being baseless, is a bit of a base claim, have a look about the forums, threads like this pop up every other day, Ampeg is known as THE name in bass amps, and thats for a good reason, not just the willy-nilly handing out of endorsements.

12. For myself It's all Ameg (USA made) I run a 4x10, 1x18 and a svt-cl pro and I can get any tone I want be it for rock, pop, metal, jazz you name it. I use the ssEQ on the svt-pro to help dial out the "mwah" on my fretless, other than that I don't need to use it since the other controls do wonders on their own. The 4x10 is amazing, very quick punchy response, lacks low end as a stand alone which is why I pair it with the 18. The 18 moves a lot of air, great sounding and feelign lows. By far the best rig I've created.

I can't say anythign bad about Messa thoguh consideirng I have never gotten a chance to really play it. However I have heard form many that it doesn't compare to Ampeg... Then again I have heard form may that it is also amazing.

13. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Yeah it's all going to be a matter of opinion. Just wanted to hear why YOU liked it.

Not to open a new can of worms, but what about the future of both brands? Ampeg being outsourced... and Mesa still being assembled in the US.

14. I dare say only the future will tell with that.

Its unlikely in the near future but you never know, Mesa might outsource too.

The ampeg i have has been out of production for 13-14 years, but they do have a few in production items which I might be interested in in the future.

Personally, i dont have a problem with ampeg outsourcing, as with anything new, would give it a miss for a while til all bugs had been worked out.

Marshall recently outsourced, I would still buy a marshall (if they released one i liked), even though they werent made in the UK.

But again, all that is just my opinion.

15. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I'm not any good at describing tone, but here's some observations I've made after owning a 400+ and an SVT-II.

My Mesa 400+ has a clearer and much more modern type sound, compared to my SVT-II.

The 400+ tone-knob settings are kinda tricky and took me quite a while a while to realise what they can, and cant do. (after two years, I still find myself constantly fiddling with my 400+ tone settings, and I take that as a very bad sign)

My SVT is much more of a plug and play amp.
    With all tone knobs positioned near the center, I rarely get the urge to fiddle with my knob settings on this amp.

My SVT has much thicker mids/low-mids, and a vintage quality to its sound that I find more appropriate for my current tastes, playing style and bands.

One other thing I really like about my SVT is the (string to string) evenness in volume, while playing up and down the fretboard. (plus my P-basses dead spots are also much less noticeable with the SVT)

My 400+ gets much quieter and thinner sounding when played up the neck, and my basses dead spots are obvious.

In my opinion, (and between these two) I think the SVT is a great choice for a (P-bass) groove-type player seeking more of a vintage tone.

My 400+ seems a little more appropriate for a modern style bassist seeking more of a articulate and well defined sound.
    (a better representation of the bass's actual sound)

Here's an older Ampeg vs Mesa thread you might like:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=344326&highlight=Ampeg+Mesa

16. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I have both, because they both rock. Differently. The Mesa, (I have a Walkabout), is much cleaner and punchier, and has way more tone control. I can dial in whatever I want. My Ampeg, (I have a V4BH), has way more balls, and warmth. I like the sound of my old Ric, strung with Roto Jazz flats, through the Ampeg and a single SVT15E cab. The rest of my basses are strung with rounds, and they ring like a bell through the Mesa, and two cabs, Mesa Powerhouse 4x10, and 2x10. I agree, the Scout 12 cab is a bit weak, but the Walkabout through the Powerhouse cabs is incredible. I guess you'll just have to decide for yourself, or buy multiple amps. It's GAS, and there is NO CURE.

17. In my case it is more about price, Mesa products are way too expensive, and over here in México, almost impossible to get. Ampeg stuff it's actually a very good sounding gear, but of course, it all depends on what you like. Ampeg has signature tone that is not for every one.

I have tried some Mesa products, but still, as impresive as they are, the price you pay for them it's beyond health, LOL, I'd rather spend that cash on something like Aguilar, Eden or Genz Benz.

Still, I stand for my SVT-VR, this thing is a monster. Its sound it's exactlyt what I always wanted. Maybe because I have heard this Ampeg tone trough the years and have become kind of natural for me. Who knows, this is actually a very subjective discussion.

18. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    If one was clear-cut better than the other, and all else was equal, wouldn't one go out of business?

They are just different, for different tastes and price ranges. I like Ampeg, and have played a variety of Ampeg products for years, but that does not mean I don't like some Mesa offerings as well. I can say when I bought the first SVT-4 I owned, I A/B'ed it with an M-pulse 600, and was not impressed by that particular Mesa. On the other hand, I could see myself owning a Walkabout Scout combo.

They are just different, that's all.

19. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Having owned a mesa 400+ for about 4 years, then selling it to get an SVT-CL, I guess you could say that I like the Ampeg better. It's heavier, but not unweildy. The Mesa was really nice, but on tour, it broke down twice. I wasn't the most careful with it, but I also wasn't throwing it around. It probably would have faired better in a shock rack. I liked the Mesa sound...it was clean and warm...and REALLY loud. It doesn't have that "character" that the Ampeg does.

It's more a personal preference thing. No one will be able to decide that for you. Both are GREAT amps, almost the same price, and loud as hell. You will definately HAVE to go up to GC and try out both.