Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa VS Ashdown

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nofrets5, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Any opinions on a slightly used Mesa M-Pulse 600 over a slightly used Ashdown ABM 500 EVO II ? I think they both sound great, and other that the extra 25 watts and compressor on the Mesa I wondered if there things tonally and other wise I should consider ? Also I may be able to get the Ashdown for a couple hundred less than the Mesa, which is not a bad thing...

2. demon666

demon666

Jul 16, 2005
    Providence RI
    I don't know from experience but i have read that ashdown has had some reliability issues. I've got an older mesa m pulse 600 (purple graphics) and its been great never a problem and I've delt with the mesa service dept. on some other things ( a 1x15 mesa cab I cooked with that head and they replaced the speaker for free I even got it the next day and I'm on the east coast) and there great. Like i said I haven't owned an ashdown I have read alot of good things and some so so I'de try them both out and see which one you think sounds better

3. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    I don't know about others, but I have never had a problem with my Ashdown ABM 900. That thing is a monster. I'd never give it up and if anything ever happned to it I would get it fixed so fast my head would spin.

While never owning a Mesa, I have played a few. I think they soudn great too. Worth the investment.

Really depends on what you want. I have never really A/b'd the two but it seems like to me the Mesa is a more modern sounding amp. Has a lot of kick and what not and tends to have a sensibility towards mids. The Ashdown is, IMO, a very warm, somewhat vintage (with a modern twinge) amp. I think that with the right time and right EQ it makes all the frequencies stand out. But naturally I think it's a low end horse. However, like I say if you take the time to EQ then you'll get what you want.

Though, that's true for most every amp.

4. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Never played through the Ashdown but I love my mesa. Perfect agressive metal/rock tone and capable of getting very good clean bright tones as well as softer, smoother stuff.

Great amp in my book.

5. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Never had a problem with any of my ashdown ABM stuff.

6. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Mesa, over one's already stated valid reasons.

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Actually, that's a pretty darn good comparison. I would think that they'd have many common characteristics. But, having never A/B'd them myself, I'm curious to hear from those who have. My guess is that the Mesa will have a more midrange-full tone, but that's just speculation on my part (and should be treated as such).

Tom.

8. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Ashdown stuff has a very pronounced sound coloration, if that is the sound you want, go for it.

What cabs would you be using?