Mesa Vs Eden Cabs with DB750

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Danm, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    Have stumbled on a good deal for the above head ( relative to it being in Australia anyway ) but have a bit of a dillema when choosing some new cabs to go with it.

I will be taking my Bass into the store to try the following combo's tomorrow or Friday but am interested in opinions from my TB bretheren.... We're talking mostly old school R'n'R, Blues etc with a Stingray 4/P Bass kinda thing.

Okidokey then.... How's about??

Eden 4x10XST + 2x10XLT ( 4 ohm load, 750w ) or the other way round (XST/XLT wise)

Mesa 2x15 + 2x10
    Mesa 2x12 + 4x10
    Mesa 1x15 + 2x12 + 2x10 ( nice 2.67 ohm load, up near 8-900watts, mucho speaker area, this one kinda intrigues me )
    Or any combination of the above.

Luckily the shop where I buy this stuff has all of the above cabs in stock as well as some Ashdown,a GS410,Ampeg 4x10HLF,some Hartke's and a Behringer or two :bag: So it should be a good tryout session.

Just trying to narrow down some pro's/cons in my mind to save time...

Any comments??

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've been gigging my DB 750 through a D-410XLT, and it simply rules. You can get a fantastic, mid-heavy growl or a nice, rich bass tone. The pre-amp tubes in the 750 add some fullness to the tone that is a nice contrast to the more modern, hi-fi sound of an Eden amp. You can't go wrong with the Eden cabs you've specified.

I don't know anything about that Mesa stuff.
  3. I'll most likely be buying a Mesa Powerhouse 2x15'' and a 4x10''. That should be enough speaker area to level small buildings, and give you all the deep, round low-end you need if you're playing R&B. Just my $0.02 :p

Your best bet would be to try out the combos before making any sort of commitment.

4. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Let us know what you think of the Mesa 12's eh? I havn't heard many people talk about them. I'm also thinking of going 212 + 15 (or 2x12) + 210 route... could be interesting + fun.

By the way, how much did the Aggy 750 set you back over here? Must of cost a tonne..
  5. konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yeah not too many people talk about the Mesa 112/212s. I haven't seen them in stores/nor have I had the oppertunity to play them. The 15s put out amazing low end, I;ve got one. But when you add some 10's to it, its the best sounding rig i've heard, very full sounding. Im still looking for that (used) 210 powerhouse thats somewhere out there for me. Mesa just makes great cabs.

From what i read about the Eden users on TB, is that they have a "hifi" sound to them. So you want to take that into consideration when you pick your cabs.
  6. Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    I'm getting a better price than that tho.... (Still have to mortgage all of my children tho lol ) the deal has not been done as yet but should have it all sorted ($$$) by the end of next week ( can't sleep just thinking about it ). Need to decide on the cabs 1st too.

I just don't want to be changing amps every 6 months or so, so I'm going with the dream rig.....

I was very surprised to see the Mesa 2x12 in there.. Considering how new they are etc etc....

Then I'll be in heaven and can stop lusting after gear and just concentrate on playing the bass!!!!!!!!!!!

:bassist: :bassist: :bassist:
  7. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    ^^I see.. Not bad considering the US price, really.

The mesa 212 and 412's have been at ProAudio in Canberra for a while now. I want to try some before going making a final decision..
  8. Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    Come on up, You can crash at my place.....Got plenty of room

Always good to have an extra set of ears...

Was at Pro Audio last week if my memory isn't playing tricks on me... Didn't have any 2x12 or 4x12's on the floor... Doesn't really surprise me though.... Gotta keep some goodies out the back.
  9. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Ahh, they might have gone. I e-mailed about 4 weeks ago and they had them in, I wouldn't be suprised at all if they'd gone allready.

I would seriously come up.. Except for the fact that i'm 16/17 and can't drive yet :(

I'll nag Billy Hyde down here to get some in, i'm sure Rob Little there would like to try them himself.

Hey, Danm, by the way, can you tell me the price your getting the Aggy for, or would you rather not? You don't have to tell me where your getting it.