Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MESA WALAKABOUT SETTINGS

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fretless72, Dec 26, 2004.

1. fretless72

fretless72

Mar 30, 2004
    Hi, I have purchased a Walkabout Scout two days ago. It was, w doubt the best 300 w amp and combo that I can hear here, on Spain.
    I play a 98' Jazz Bass USA De Luxe which I like with this eq: treble, a litte more than the flat point; mid, flat; bass, "2 hours" more than the flat point. I like the sort of natural gain the bass has with this preamp EQ :) , the walkabout has a really great EQ, maybe too much strong in the bass frecuencies, so the bass loose that particular caracter. The walkabout sound is really sweet and round, but i want feel more the caracter of my bass, an the mids of the walkabout don't give me that kind of sound...

So... any walkabout settings for distinguished low mids sound???

Of course, I'm interested in other walkabouts eq...

Thanks a lot and I apologizes for my english.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
  3. fretless72

fretless72

Mar 30, 2004
    Thanks a lot, but I want something more specific...

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I'm using a Strangeberger with two P-style pickups in it, and I use the following settings:

Gain @ 12 o'clock
    Bass @ 1 o'clock
    Mid @ 1 o'clock
    Treble at @ 11 o'clock

Then I set my parametric like this:

Low @ 1 o'clock with the freq knob at 1 o'clock
    Mid @ 11 o'clock with the freq knob at 1 o'clock
    Treble flat

I also turn my horn completely off. One thing I've found with these amps is that the EQ is very sensitive, and subtle tweaks work best.

5. fretless72

fretless72

Mar 30, 2004
    Thanks Benjamin,

I think too that the EQ it's really powerfull, meybe too!!.

Bye.

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, two things to keep in mind are as follows:

1) the Gain setting does effect tone. If you crank it all the way up, you will drive the preamp tube harder and eventually induce overdrive (very nice, BTW). If you keep the Gain setting lower, and turn the Master all the way up, you will get what I describe as a "cleaner" tone. This is how I use my Walkabout most of the time. I usually keep my Gain setting below 9 o'clock, but will turn up louder as necessary.

2) the Mid control is more complex than you might first believe. While the Bass and Treble are active, shelving type EQ's, the Mid is a passive control that boosts a broad range of frequencies as it is increased. Note that the Bass and Treble are boost or cut, while the Mid control is boost only. I have found that small changes in the Mid knob setting can result in fairly broad tonal changes.

For what you are describing, I would try keeping the Gain setting on the low side, and perhaps setting the Mid control to about 10 o'clock for starters. I'd play with these two controls until you are closest to the tone that you are after, and then employ the Bass/Treble and parametrics as necessary. One final note, you may want to consider trying some different preamp tubes. I tried out a bunch, and while the effect is fairly subtle, it might be enough to nudge things in a direction more to your liking (if the other controls don't get you there first).

Hope this helps, Tom.