1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Mesa Walkabout 12

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by Joebone, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Everything they say about these combos is true - check out the Mesa Walkbout megathread on the Amps Forum. Absolute tone monster, and the amount of thump via that downward-firing passive radiator is a gift from such a small, 50-pound package. 300 watts into the 4-ohm cabinet, and many folks report extensive use with 8-ohm or 4-ohm extension cabinets. Killer tube preamp and a MOSFET power section makes for some great sound. And it's not just old-school - keeping the gain low and the master high gets some great contemporary tone.

This particular sample has custom tan vinyl, with a straw/bamboo-colored speaker grill and leather corners - imagine some blues band kicking it out in the Mississippi Delta, circa 1958, and you get the vibe. For pictures, go to: http://gallery.me.com/joebone1. You'll see that the original owner (I'm the second owner) mounted some fine casters, and that the vinyl in the lower front left corner shows some life experience. One of the 4 screws securing the handle could also use some TLC, but operationally, there are no problems whatsoever with this unit.

Regrettably, I have two flights of stairs from street to home, so I've gone to an even lighter, modular rig.

Balancing life experience with the custom cosmetics, $800 plus shipping seems about right.

Looking for cash only - am pretty set on my current rig and instruments.

2. naturalkinds

naturalkinds

Jan 22, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Now that is a sexy beast.

3. Awesome

4. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    How does it handle the low-b?

5. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Although I have read someone posting that his WA12 whistles with low B at high volumes I have never had this problem with my WA 12, even VERY loud, with multiple 5 stringers from Basslab to Fender to Dingwall. IME it's a superb combo that is tuned lower than the box size would indicate because of it's passive radiator which acts as a port. Gotta love them Mesa CS duds as well:D Got me some already otherwise this would be gone. If the seller has any interest in swapping the head for a GB Shuttle 9 or a 38lb Epi UL2-210, just LMK. Luck with the sale. and bump for my favorite bass tone.

6. Joebone

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Low B is mean, although I have not taken it to crazy-loud volume. I suspect that passive radiator is a big help in the low, low register. No discernible whistling sounds...There is fan noise, but that's normal for these units.

7. Joebone

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    bump...

8. Joebone

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Action afoot...stay tuned...

9. Joebone