1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Mesa Walkabout Amp

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by Jeff Elkins, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Jeff Elkins

Jeff Elkins Supporting Member

Price:
    PRICE DROP! Mesa Walkabout blackface head, early version. Picked this up in a local trade, thought I'd keep it as a backup for my WA combo. But I already have enough backup and am on a serious post-holiday mission to clear out extras.

The previous owner advised that he'd had it in storage for over a year, and there is some evidence of that in the way of a tarnished screw on the front. See the photos for more. The face plate has some flaking in the lettering, which is apparently a standard issue with the early models. This version has the active/passive switch.

I've plugged it in to my cabs, and it works great, but it has NOT been gigged by me, only run for about 30 minutes. Caveat emptor; I don't know how hard life was for it before it ended up in storage. It appears to be fully functioning.

Will be VERY well packed for shipping. Price is paypal, shipped, insured, conus. Canadian buyers PM to discuss.

IMG_1234.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    treyandres likes this.
  2. whirledpeas

whirledpeas Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Sittin' Here in Limbo
    Great head. Excellent seller.

Jeff is an A+ Talkbasser, folks!

Jeff Elkins likes this.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Get this head. Send it back to Mesa and have them go through it for less than $200 (shipping included).

Then you'll have a great-sounding workhorse for years to come. A year from now it'll be worth what you paid for the head and the service (due to increasing rarity of available units for sale).

I get a little sweat on my upper lip every time selling mine crosses my mind.

Jeff Elkins likes this.
  4. Jeff Elkins

Thanks, guys!

@two fingers — I actually thought about that myself, but didn’t know how affordable it was. I have a Quilter BB800 that works so well with my upright that I can’t let it go, and it’s a perfectly viable backup for electric gigs if my WA combo needed service... but now I’m getting some upper lip glisten...

two fingers likes this.
  5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I hope I'm not derailing your sale thread. But Mesa customer service was fantastic. They actually called and checked in with me to let me know what they would be doing (after they had a look) and got my approval. They made several "updates". (Mine is a very early silver face.) The piece of mind of knowing that the guys who built it went through it is great.

I had PMed @agedhorse to get kind of an "inside track" and "special treatment" ;). But, as it turns out, they take care of everyone that way. He simply gave me a phone number for customer service and assured me I was in good hands. I was.

Best of luck either way. Whoever winds up with it (even if it's you) will be happy. :D

agedhorse and Jeff Elkins like this.
  6. clayfiske

clayfiske Supporting Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I too have a silver face. I am the second owner and have never been able to afford the extra cash for a look over and update. Fortunately, I have never needed it. Like my 80's GK 400rb, I will probably always keep it. GLWS.

Jeff Elkins likes this.
  7. Jeff Elkins

Considering a pretty appealing trade offer. Straight up sale is still my current preference.

8. Jeff Elkins

Price drop due to market adjustment by @Reviresco!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    treyandres likes this.
  9. bass10bfb

bass10bfb Prophet Low End Provider Gold Supporting Member

May 5, 2011
    Newport, TN.
    Great seller here folks!!!!! Jeff is A++!!! If I was looking for a head, this would probably be on my list...GLWTS Jeff!!!

Jeff Elkins likes this.
  10. ric426

ric426 In my defense, I was left unsupervised. Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Damn, what a deal! Makes me think about selling my Genzler Magellan 350 head and grabbing this. I've always had a soft spot for Walkabout heads. I keep coming back to them.

Anyone know if Mesa will sell a replacement faceplate and for how much or do you have to let them replace it?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    Jeff Elkins likes this.
  11. unbridled

unbridled

May 26, 2005
    Montana
    Endorsing Artist-Compton Compensated Custom Bridges (for Gretsch 6ers)
    Tempted...

Jeff Elkins likes this.
  12. Jeff Elkins

I just came across a SilenX fan, still in the package, that I’m happy to include in the sale if someone wanted to do that mod themselves.

(Purchased it last year for my combo, but no real need for the upgrade on my silverface, turns out)

13. Jeff Elkins

Deal pending!