1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa Walkabout and 230V

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Apr 27, 2006.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Can a US Walkabout easely be converted to work in Europe with 230 Volts?
    The Walkabout is much cheaper on the US second hand market.
    I can´t find an e-mail adress to Mesa/Boogie...

2. loudandclear

loudandclear

Mar 16, 2006
    Bristol UK
    I would be very interested in this- does anyone know?
    thanks

3. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    I think Gallien Krueger and Eden are heads that can easily be converted by means of adjusting a jumper on their transformers(just something that you might consider of course they dont offer a walkabout but something to consider none the less). I'm not sure about mesa though. I'd imagine that it would be a matter of switching the transformer for one that works in europe. The cost of doing so might offset the benefit of actually buying in America.
    You might try www.thomann.de as well they do mesa stuff for a reasonablish price. If you can't change an american mesa it might be cheaper to get in germany than sweden.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I just called Mesa-Boogie for you and talked to Michael. He said that the power transformer on the Walkabout has a single 120 Vac/60Hz primary so you wouldn't be able to convert it to 230 Vac/50Hz operation without replacing the transformer completely (and (he added) voiding the warranty).

He said that a local distributor could get a transformer for you...I think that's what he was telling me...but maybe he was trying to sell a Euro-spec Walkabout.

5. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks a lot! :bassist: