Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mesa walkabout and ampeg 2x12 portabass cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dru, Jun 13, 2003.

1. Dru

Dru

Jun 13, 2003
    Houston Texas
    i was thinking of buying a used mesa boogie walkabout and using it to drive one of those new ampeg portabass 2x12 combos. It says it can handle 400 watts but someone told me they blew the speakers with a 350 watt eden cabinet. Do yall think the mesa would blow the two twelves trying to keep up with a 100 watt halfstack guitar player, drummer and vocals? Thanx, Dru :)

2. klorence

klorence

Nov 21, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    well, I can't speak for the 2x12, but I tried out a 2x10 porta with a separate porta head (250watts) recently. I was surprised that it totally crapped out on a the low B string, at not very high volumes at all. Maybe because it's a sealed instead of ported cab?

A shame, because the light weight, telescoping handle, etc. all look great on paper. It just wouldn't cut it on a gig for me, even a relatively quiet jazz gig.

3. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    I auditioned the 2x12 Portabass fairly extensively as it seemed too good to be true. Well, the Portabass head is totally under-powered IMO. With the volume set to 3 o'clock, the sound just started to get above loud acoustic guitar levels!! I tried my GK 700RB head with the cab, and it totally smoked the Portabass head. The 2x12 started to sound pretty good with the GK, but still not enough volume for the blues and r&b band I'm in, and we don't play that loud. I wound up with a 4x10, and am resigned to having to cart around a 122 lb. monster.

4. Dru

Dru

Jun 13, 2003
    Houston Texas
    aww man. guess id better just go with something a little heavier but sturdier then. Thanx for the advice. Might look into those aguilar single 12 inch cabs that everyone raves about.

5. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The Porta bass cabs are not very efficient at all(93 db sens.), so you would have to push your head a lot harder to drive it. The Mesa Walkabout is a great head, and has an unreal amount of low end. Maybe you would be better off with a 4x10" cabinet?

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    What about one of those Mesa 2x12s that was floating around?

7. Dru

Dru

Jun 13, 2003
    Houston Texas
    yeah, its looking more and more like im going to need a 4x10. Mesa boogie 2x12s? I'll look into those.

8. I just went through a cabinet search myself. I have a WalkAbout head and absolutely love it. I have not found a head near its size that will even come close. I today just for kicks plugged in my GK700RB and the WalkAbout side by side. You probably know which one of the two won. Anyway....I purchased 2 of the Aguilar 112's from Corner Music in Nashville CHEAP! Musicians Friend sells them for $399 but I got them for I think around $330 each. I tried the Mesa cabinets (waaaay too heavy but sound great) and the little Ampeg Portabass cabinet only because it was sitting right next to the Aguilar 112. There was no comparison between the two. The Ampeg had a very muddy sound when partnered with the Walkabout while the Aguilar was crystal clear. Hope this helps.
    Brad

9. Dru

Dru

Jun 13, 2003
    Houston Texas
    thanx brad. Ive heard alot of good things about the aguilar 12's. They are only like 40 pounds, so that isnt too bad. I will probably hunt one of those babys down when i buy my friend's mesa walkabout head. I think it should be enough for rehearsals and small gigs. I think im going to get a goliath 3 for bigger gigs and egocentric guitar players. maybe i could use the walkabout to drive both the 12 and the 410. Guess all this costs money though. I needs a job. :D

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have a Walkabout which I use with Epifani T-110UL and T-112 cabs, and this setup rocks! Very loud for its size, and definitely sufficient for just about any practice situation, stage volume for just about any (indoor) gig, and full room support for small to medium-small venues.

[​IMG]

11. Dru

Dru

Jun 13, 2003
    Houston Texas
    nice. how much does the epifani 1x12 weigh and how much $$ is it?

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The T-112 weighs 41 lbs (Nick hasn't found an acceptable ultra light 12 yet), and really is not bad at all to lug around. The T-110UL is only 23 lbs! The list on the T-112 is $799, and you should be able to pick it up for around 25% off of retail. It is somewhat expensive, but from what I can tell, everything is over-priced. On a comparative basis, the Epi cabs are definitely worth the admission price.

I find that the Walkabout really pairs up well with the Epi cabs.

Tom.