1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa Walkabout bass combo DI question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by O_decibel, Jun 4, 2017.

1. O_decibel

O_decibel

Jun 4, 2017
    Hi everyone! I don't seem to find the answer online..

So I got this amazing sounding combo amp. The head has DI output and separate DI volume control knob. However there is no signal in the DI output unless VOLUME is more that at 0.
    The reason is - I want to silently use DI for recordings at night. Apparently DI is post EQ witch is great for me, but I did not know it is post master.. I knew I can not power amp without a cab, but I thought at least I could play in thru DI without master volume being applied.

So please share your thoughts and experiences. I am thinking between rewiring connection to bypass master volume OR get attenuator. I am not to happy with getting attenuator because I heard they not that healthy for the amp and I still will be getting some sound in a cab, other issue it is extra $ which I am not ready to spend yet. There is gotta be a way without buying attenuator.
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. It's a quirk of the Walkabout. Just pull the speaker cable out.

agedhorse, rodl2005, Andre678 and 2 others like this.
  3. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Aqualung60 and Al Kraft like this.
  4. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    AZ, USA
    It's possible that the unit could be modified for pre-master. What would be really cool is if it could be a push pull pot for the DI, pull for pre-master or even pre EQ. I don't use the DI on my unit because every time I make an adjustment it affects the FOH.

5. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    The DI is post master volume. Actually sounds great. I usually crank the master volume to about 10 o'clock and the DI to noon and disconnect the speaker.

Al Kraft likes this.
  6. It's a transistor amp. With a cuppla tubes in it. A great one too. But you can surely simply pull out the speaker cable and run it with no speaker. ...i.e. use it as a lovely DI

Al Kraft likes this.
  7. O_decibel

O_decibel

Jun 4, 2017
    Thanks to everyone for replies! I am gonna try to run in with no cab and will keep you updated! Kinda anxious a bit =\

8. sheltjo6

sheltjo6 Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2012
    California
    These are great amps. I was not aware the di is post master. Interesting.

9. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    as has been already said, WA is a hybrid tube/pre (3 12AX7's) and Mosfet power, so no cab is no problemo.
    There was quite a bit of discussion about the post Master/post EQ nature of the DI. I have never found it to be an issue, the DI sounds great through FOH or for recording. Just takes some minor adjusting to the post EQ aspect. If you are a big knob twiddler, this can be an issue, but usually it works out fine.
    As far as rewiring the DI for a pre/post switch option, there was some commentary some years ago by a Mesa representative that indicated that changing the DI this way (pre and post) would significantly change the nature/quality of the output. I am not an engineer and do not know why this might be. Perhaps Agedhorse will come along and give us some insight.

congratulations on the WA, its a great amp.
    enjoy!

Al Kraft and monsterthompson like this.
  10. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    It's not a tube amp. You can just not plug in the cabinet. All set

11. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    AZ, USA
    WA has 2 12AX7's.

Al Kraft and HarveySpaceBass like this.
  12. laklandfan07

laklandfan07 Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2014
    hey I just unplugged the speaker from the head

bikeplate likes this.
  13. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    There are actually only two tubes in the preamp, but I agree with everything you said. I read the same thing regarding the master/DI output relationship. While I didn't quite understand the technical reasons it needs to remain like that, the WA seems to have a number of design aspects that while odd/quirky, bordering on unexplainable, tend to synergistically add up to an exceptional end result. There are things that man is just not meant to understand, they are simply to be admired and appreciated! :)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    pfschim likes this.
  14. MikeWfromNJ

MikeWfromNJ Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Central NJ
    I rec'd the procedure/schematic from Mesa some years ago (2010) but have not tried it. The Mesa Engineer that I was corresponding with said that the output of the amp would be ~10% reduced with the mod.

Based on the instructions, you remove a cap, replace it with the same value but solder one side of it to another point on the board. So you should be able to insert a switch inline and therefore have it both ways.

15. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    The output of the amp is unaffected, but the DI is post master volume due to the unique way the power amp drive is achieved. There is a tube phase splitter/driver with the output stage run essentially open loop. This particular tone is what the WA is all about.