1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

mesa walkabout dating

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MarkMyWordsXx, Feb 18, 2008.

1. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
    i picked up a walkabout, and we went for a nice dinner in the village.

sorry! i picked one up for $400 from a guy named dan cooper in the city, idk if anyone knows him but he teaches at FIT i think or something like that. and he seemed to know his stuff so. anyway

the serial number is wk-000026. its the older brown face model. can anyone date this? i feel like its pretty old if it starts out 0000

btw, i had asked him if he had a bass laying around to just make sure everything worked, and he of course said yes. so i walk in there and there was a nice little bass with a cute little butterfly on the head that he let me use..so i said " hey nice ibanez!" and he gave me a funny look..i wonder why..:smug:

2. whizack

whizack

Oct 23, 2007
    I just bought one brand new from a mesa dealer and it's serial is WK-0040xx.

My guess is that it's "old".

3. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
    no one?

4. JeffSki

JeffSki

Apr 18, 2007
  5. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
  6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    You can date any one, or any thing you want, it's none of my bussiness. However, it seems you got quite a deal on the Walkabout, I assume it's just the head. What do you think of it? I ask, because I'm in love with mine, we've moved way beyond dating....

7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Yours was the 25th one made - Boogie does all their serial numbers in sequence.

8. Hey Mark:

I've noticed in my info search for Mpulse 600 that you also have one of those.

Would you mind posting your thoughts on the simularities/differences in tone?

I've read all the opinions but can always do with more.

I just bought M600, don't even have it yet. But I saw a walkabout head at a pawn shop for a decent price and I'm considering picking it up.

I've heard the walkabout before, I thought the tone was amazing. But I don't know that it has enough power/headroom, that's why I went with it.

If you get a chance, let us know what you think.

Col Monk

9. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
    if its the 26th one, sweet.

rickenboogie, i played it at practice tonight, i couldn't even hear it. this is with a drummer, and two guitars. so i switched back to the 600.

from what ive played of it, it sounds very much like the m pulse. the difference i can tell so far is mainly the compressor. its a much more even sound with the m pulse. the walkabout is more wide open feeling in terms of sound.

Monk, il do a review tomorrow and il post it or pm it to you. I got the walkabout because i knew if i hated it i could sell it but it seems to be my solution to portability as far as smallish jams. i have yet to try it with my 4x10 because i smoked the crossover.

10. Thanks Mark. Still interested in your review, primarily the tone diffs.

I play in a loud band as well - I wouldn't mind it if we turned down but you can only fight that battle so much. My current rig at 350 watts / 4 ohms is not loud enough - or at least not enough headroom.

Were you running a 4 ohm or 8 ohm load?

Monk

11. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
    its Matt btw.

the m pulse will be plenty loud. what cab you got?

12. Sorry Matt, my bad.

Currently I have an Eden 15 and 2x10, and sometimes use the 4x8 from my Ampeg. All are 8 ohm Cabs.

Not sure if I'll stick with the Edens or not. I bought them because of a good deal and also because my brother has a WT800A that he was going to sell me. But the more I read, the more I'm thinking that Mesa will be more the sound I'm after. I should know relatively soon.

Monk

13. lowfreek

lowfreek Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Central New York
    Matt, that's way cool having such an early model. Just for frame of reference, mine's about two years old and is #2962. Dudes at Mesa been busy!

You really think it sounds like the M-Pulse? I get two distinctly different flavors from them. My Walkabout is all about luscious, woolly, old school tubiness. My M-Pulse is a mean, clean, tubey headroom machine.

Yeh, headroom's a little lacking with the Walkabout into a 4 ohm cab if you use the M-Pulse 600 as a standard, but if you have PA support, it's not a big deal.

DAMN I love these two heads!

14. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
    yea to my ears there basically the same. idk thats just me though