Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa Walkabout... Enough power?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by B String, Apr 15, 2003.

1. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Play an old GK 800 now. Thinking of
    the mesa walkabout. Whats the power
    into 8 ohms? I like the weight but does
    this amp have some headroom? It just
    looks like it would sound good.

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have one on order (should get it today), but it is supposed to be rated at 175w at 8 ohms. However, I have heard that the M-Pulse line (which the Walkabout is part of) is somewhat underrated as far as output goes. Do a search on this forum and read some of the older threads on it. Seems to get good marks. I am looking to use mine with an Epifani T-112 and T-110UL (my Mini Rig), which should be plenty loud for practices and smaller venues.

Hope this helps, Tom.

3. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    We have both this and the M-Pulse 360 in stock at my store. I played through both of them...and the Walkabout not only sounds loud, it had even better tone, despite there being no para-metric EQ!

Go for it man...and the cabs sound nice too!!!

4. Stingray4Christ

Stingray4Christ

Jan 28, 2003
    NY
    I can be heard just fine with half of my stack, giving me 200 watts with the 2X10 and thats playing with 130 watts of guitar.

5. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    RevGroove wrote:

"...and the Walkabout not only sounds loud, it had even better tone, despite there being no para-metric EQ!"

I agree about the loudness and tone thing, but don't both the Walkabout and the 360 both have semi-parametric EQ's, with the Walkabout being 3-band and the 360/600 being 5-band?

Tom.

6. Long answer:
    I'm running mine through an Avatar 212 at 8 ohm, ~175w.

The walkabout has 3 band parametric eq and 3 band active frequency controls.

In a band setting i'm finding that I have plenty of room to go without distorting out. The gain control on the walkabout really gives it a gutsy output, and you can nudge it back if things get too raunchy, as your master goes up, you can reduce the gain. I have my master up to about 11-12 with two guitars and drum machine in a rock setting, i think there would be considerably more headroom at 4 ohm but i can't imagine needing it.

Also I have an incredible amount of low end with my rig, i keepthe bass controls about flat on my walkabout during most songs, it's good to know i can really rattle the roof when i need to.

I noticed last night that the walkabout is really sensitive to pickup output as well -maybe all amps are but i hadn't noticed such a diff in output between my two basses unitl i starting running the walkabout. If you have an opportunity to try the walkabout with all your guitars I would seriously recommend it. I played mine at the shop with a new stock fender and the sound was quite different from my instruments - it's finicky for sure, flexible, but finicky.

7. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    My bad...both units have the standard three tone control knobs, but the 360 also has 2x5 more knobs for specific frequencies and their levels. Hope that clears things up somewhat!!!

8. :confused:

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Actually, I may still be a bit confused by your post:

"the 360 also has 2x5 more knobs for specific frequencies and their levels."

Well, the Walkabout has active Bass and Treble, and passive Mid (the same 3 that the 360 has), but is ALSO has 3 semi-parametric EQs, wheras the 360/600 have 5 semi-parametric EQs. So, the Walkabout has 3x2 "knobs for specific frequencies and their levels" whereas the 360/600 has 5x2 such knobs. The total difference is two additional semi-parametrics, not 5 more bands on the 360/600.

In my experience, I primarily use parametrics to dial in a particular frequency that is giving me problems and boost or cut it as necessary. My Eden Navigator has 5 bands of parametrics (in addition to Bass and Treble), and to be honest, I have never used more than two of the parametrics at one time. So to me, at least, the two "extra" bands on the 360 probably wouldn't help me out much beyond the 6 band EQ (Bass, Mid, Treble, 3 semi-parametrics) that the Walkabout has.

Later, Tom.

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Just thought Id throw in that the mid control on this series is a pasive cut only control so flat settings are really:

Bass: 12:00
    Mid: full
    Trebble 12:00

Peace
    Nick

11. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    played one today. its got plenty enough power.

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Nick Man wrote:

"Just thought Id throw in that the mid control on this series is a pasive cut only control so flat settings are really:

Bass: 12:00
    Mid: full
    Trebble 12:00"

This is how I would normally understand active and passive controls to work. However, the manual for the Walkabout is a bit confusing on the matter. It states:

"The BASS and TREBLE controls are active shelving type controls with a broad response even though they are acting primarily on their center frequency Q point. This broader response works extremely well with the passive, broad-band MID control. Because BASS and TREBLE are active controls, they actually cut (or notch) the region around the Q point when the control is set below 12:00, and boost these requencies when the control is set above 12:00. The MID control works like a normal passive control and boosts a broad band of frequencies as it is increased. "

:confused:

All I know is that it doesn't appear to obviously be cutting or boosting as I adjust it. I just seems to vary the character of the mids, as if it were a variable notch filter or something. So, I am not sure exactly what the passive MID is doing, but it is certainly operating differently than the BASS and TREBLE controls, which behave as you would expect an active control to behave.

Later, Tom.

13. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've found that the mid knob works well to help my bass stand out in a mix. I usually leave it turned down all the way and find a sound I like without it. Then, when the guitar player and drummer kick in, I just turn the mid knob up to about 3-6 and set the bass in the mix. Works great.

I usually leave everything pretty much flat EQ wise. One thing that I use the parametric EQ for is to kill buzz from the lighting around the bar where we set up. If I turn the frequency all the way up, and use it as a cut, I can eliminate the buzz/hum and not really affect the sound of my basses.

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    bassmonkee wrote:

"One thing that I use the parametric EQ for is to kill buzz from the lighting around the bar where we set up. If I turn the frequency all the way up, and use it as a cut, I can eliminate the buzz/hum and not really affect the sound of my basses."

Darn good idea! I'll have to start doing that.

T.

15. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    tombowlus, you're right on...the Walkabout does have 2x3 parametric EQ knobs in addition to the bass, mid and treb knobs...I didn't fool around with them much, but for some reason it didn't stick in my mind that they were there...just using the basic tone controls gave me such an amazing sound, I couldn't believe it! If I ever "convert" from SWR, I'm getting a Mesa Walkabout, and a Mesa 4x10/1x15 cab set up, for sure!

16. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    my my myyy! so many opinions.
    My only reservation is that 175@ 8 ohms
    wouldn't seem like much headroom. My
    800rb has 200@ 8 ohms, and sometimes
    feels like its at the edge. Especially at an
    outdoor gig. Whats the headroom like on
    this puppy?

17. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Scince you're in L.A. you might want to go to the Mesa store in Hollywood. Just went there a few days ago and tried one out. Very awesome little amp. Have you ever heard a SWR Bass 750? To me the Mesa could do everything the 750 could with more tone and at least equal volume.

18. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Hey Rev, if you are ever in the market for a Mesa Boogie 4x10, I am probably looking to sell mine. At well over 100 lbs, it is getting a bit cumbersome for the flight of steps that I have to lug it up and down (out of my house) for every show. It is the Diesel "Deep" version, and they must have played around with different drivers in this cab, because when I bought it, I found three different cabs with three different 10's and two different tweeters being used between them! I bought the one that sounded the best to me. At any rate, it is in mint shape and comes with the Boogie cover (which I always use when transporting or storing it).

Later, Tom.

19. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Fast slapper.
    Thanks. I will try to get over to
    Mesa soon. I'll bring my 800rb.
    I find it hard to believe that the
    walkabout has more headroom than
    an swr 750. If so, I'll be the happiest
    guy in town.

20. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    The Mesa's Pulse amps seem way under-rated to me. I have a M-Pulse 360 and it is loud ! I just bought an EA iAMP800 because for some reason I thought I needed more power. Well comparing the 2 it seems to me the Mesa is just as loud. I know this can't be true since wer'e talking 360w to 800w but the Mesa seems to keep up with the iAMP in volume. Also I used to have both an Eden WT800 and WT400 and the Mesa blows them away in volume. I bought the iAMP to replace the Mesa (stupid, stupid, stupid) and now I'm seriously thinking of selling the iAMP that I just bought and will loose at least a couple of hundred dollars but the Mesa is just sounds better and holds it own in power.
    Also one of my cabs is an 8 ohm Acme B2 and the Mesa sounds great with that cab and Acme are highly inefficient. I don't play thru that cab very loudly but it still can gets some nice volume.