Mesa Walkabout for guitar?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nosajwp, Feb 21, 2010.

1. nosajwp

nosajwp

Jun 14, 2005
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Do you guys think a Mesa Walkabout would work well as a lightweight amp for guitar, assuming proper OD pedals, etc. are used with it, as well as cabs suited to guitar rather than bass.

I'm also considering an AI Clarus, but for some reason the Mesa seems like it might work better.

2. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    'Lightweight'??

no. Small, and huge power:weight ratio but not a 'lightweight' guitar amp.

Look into the Z Lunchbox for real lightweight guitar potential...but the walkabout would be AWESOME for clean guitar and tube breakup.

Just remember: it's gonna be hugely loud for guitar.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I think it'll work, though it won't be ideal. So many great small guitar amps to choose from, but sure, with a proper guitar cab, you'll certainly be loud.

4. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've used it for cleanish guitar through a Scout cab, and it works great. I'd love to try it through some actual guitar cabs too (as they would obviously roll off the low end much better). One thing I noticed is that cranking the gain adds a lot of low midrange that can make a six string guitar sound pretty muddy without some extra EQ. I actually liked this tone with my old G&L ASAT Special when dialed in right (but that was a pretty bright and present guitar- cranking the gain made the bright single coils sound like chunky humbuckers!).

Also, +1 to the comments about the Walkabout being a very LOUD guitar amp- most of the solid state bass amps I've had in the past made for very weak guitar amps (due to extreme built-in EQ voicings), but the Walkabout has all sorts of present midrange and watts to spare if you dial it in right.

I should also mention that I am by no means a "guitarist," though I do occasionally fill in or record guitar when necessary, so take my experiences with a grain of salt!

Karl

5. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    That's a lot to spend for an amp that doesn't have reverb. It isn't like, "might as well pick up two while I'm at the store." In the past, I've tried a couple of bass amps or cabs for guitar, and I didn't feel any need to continue. Bass speakers tend to sound muffled with guitar, in my experience.

I own a Walkabout Scout 15, and it's my one and only bass amp, but I prefer one of my Fender guitar amps for guitar: reverb, small size, (relatively) light weight, guitar-voiced tone. To tell you the truth, I haven't bothered to plug a guitar into the Mesa/Boogie to check it out. I'm in the process of dialing in the sound I want, and to tell the truth, diverting my efforts for something I'll never do on my own isn't worth it.

6. fwiw I've used my minimark a few times as it's 1/2 the size of my guitar rig. not the best choice, but w/ pedals it'll get the job done.

. . . also EHX had a 22watt amp that was actually crammed into one of their mini pedals at the namm show! very cool!!! also try finding the old crate powerblock (or maybe even the new swr mini poweramp) I think that might be much better w/ like a neo 112 avatar guitar cab or something . . .

7. Peg_legs

Peg_legs

Nov 19, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    I had to go try..... I plugged my SG into my GK bass combo and it sounded like arse and had no volume. Then I plugged in my bass with the same setting and got a ballsey wall of sound. I doubt you will get anything useful with any guitar through a bass amp.

8. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    The Walkabout is a different beast- I've tried a guitar through every bass amp I've ever owned, and the 3 Mesa amps I've owned (400+, D-180, and the Walkabout) are the only ones that don't make guitars sound tinny. To me, this is a matter of an inherent scooped quality to the voicing of most bass amps (scooping out the midrange that makes up a large bulk of the guitar tone) and the fact that all three Mesa amps are very mid-heavy.

That said- I would definitely try playing a guitar through a Scout combo for awhile before taking that leap. Most guitar amps have a pretty significant hi-pass filter to cut muddiness, combined with speakers that don't really reproduce lows (and that have strong humps in the midrange)- the lack of both of those things in the Walkabout Scout may make sculpting your tone pretty tough depending on what you are looking for.

9. nosajwp

nosajwp

Jun 14, 2005
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Anyone else?

I'm also considering an AI Clarus...between the Clarus and Walkabout, which do you think would work better for regular electric guitar using guitar-specific cabs and speakers?

10. Ur2funky

Ur2funky

Feb 16, 2010
    I own a Walkabout...I've played electric guitar for 30 years, and earn my living playing bass. The Walkabout does work with guitar.
    It's very portable for a bass amp, but compared to electric guitar amps, it's not light.
    I would much rather use a guitar amp.
    Are you trying to get by having one amp to use with both instruments? If so, maybe not too bad. I'll sell you my Walkabout if you like.
    But if just for electric guitar, buy a guitar amp. Fender Cyber Twin SE are very versatile, Any Victoria amp is tube heaven (the Regal II kicks butt!)
    Good luck in your quest!
    ~Scott

11. nosajwp

nosajwp

Jun 14, 2005
    Winston-Salem, NC
    I'm actually used to 100 watt guitar amps (50+ pounds), so a Walkabout at 12 pounds would be a blessing, especially with the little gig bag.

12. Ur2funky

Ur2funky

Feb 16, 2010
    My comments were meant to be concerning the Walkabout combo...amp and speaker together in one package...it's about 50 lbs but fits on any car's frontseat!

If you want light, how about a "Tweed Deluxe"? (Not just a "Deluxe"...need the Tweed in there...also known as an 5E3 amp.) Very lightweight pine box tube amp...awesome overdrive, but won't do loud clean. (This is for electric guitar only)

~S

13. Fender978

Fender978

Apr 6, 2011
    I have a 12" Walkabout Scout combo that I mainly use for bass, but I've actually been really impressed by some of the tones I've been able to get with guitar. I used:

- Gibson Les Paul
    - EHX POG (octave pedal)
    - Ibanez TS9DX
    - EHX Big Muff
    - EHX Holy Grail (for reverb)

By cutting a little bass and boosting the upper mids on the amp, I was eventually able to get a very warm clean tone that wasn't muddy. Adding the EHX Holy Grail completed the guitar sound nicely. I prefered this tone to any of the clean tones I was able to get out of a Line 6 Spider IV 75w amp.

The Ibanez TS9DX and Big Muff sounded great when engaged, but it really started to sound amazing with the POG engaged. Since it's fundamentally a bass amp, I figured the added octave-down would sound awesome and it didn't disappoint.

14. spoonido

spoonido

Sep 19, 2007
    Santa Rosa, California
    Endorsing Artist: Hagstrom, Mahalo
    To keep this thread going, I could offer my experience playing guitar through a stock Walkabout 15 Combo.

I have tried it with an Eastman arch top with floating pickup, a Fender Stratocaster with Texas Special pickups, and an Epiphone Sheraton. Before going into the Walkabout, I flavor the guitars with a Boss reverb pedal and a Mesa V-Twin preamp pedal.

If you're after a mellow jazz tone, you'll be in heaven with this rig. For blues, it also works great. Those are my primary interests anyway, so I'm satisfied in that realm. The rock tones will depend on what you're after, and it'll take more dialing around to catch it. The Strat can be surprisingly bright without getting as brittle as one would expect.

I did get a chance to play some rock guitar in a band using the Walkabout and Strat once, but it didn't quite work for me. Maybe it was because I didn't use the V-Twin pedal to supplement the EQ first. I haven't owned a guitar amp in years and I keep thinking I'm missing out; but when I use the Walkabout for my blues and jazz tones, it's the thing.

15. kentrhodes1

kentrhodes1

Sep 6, 2011
    Just resurrecting this thread, cause I was interested in this topic. Taking a bass and a guitar with you is one thing, but taking 2 amps really sucks.

Got a walkabout 112 and the thing absolutely rocks with guitar. 300w monster.

Now the clean sound doesn't have a shimmer that you might find on a fender amp, or that pristine clean tube sound of a hugh & kettner nor does it sound anything like a mesa guitar amp... but... put an electro-harmonix epitome for color, and a mesa grid-slammer for distortion, and it sounds as good as any guitar amp IMHO.

The clean sound - all by itself - is a bit dry... clean and clear, but no shimmer or shine... as you would expect from a bass amp. And I can vouch for the 2 pedals I mentioned working extremely well with it (I will probably try them out with my bass guitar too ;) win-win! (please note I cannot vouch for any other pedal - I have a feeling that the best pedals will be ones that control the tone instead of working with the tone of the amp - cause it's a bit dry - so a really basic delay pedal probably wouldn't sound that great.

but with the right pedals - as good as any guitar amp within reason / price ;)

(got rid of the Hugh & Kettner cause at 18 w it just couldn't keep up with a loud drummer... just not enough there. and the 36 w one is "just" there and could really use another bit of oomph so it doesn't have to be maxed)... Tubemeister. awsome amps, sound like butter - but they need to make a 50w version (or if they are doubling maybe a 72w version).

anyways, old thread here, just chiming in on a good experience ;)

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021