1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa Walkabout Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by matheo, Sep 13, 2008.

1. matheo

matheo

Nov 5, 2006
    Hello guys,

I wanted to know if 689$ CAN is a good price for a Mesa Walkabout Head. Also, will it sound great with a cab at maximum 400$? Which cab would you with this head and for this price?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Mathieu

2. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    If that is a used head the price is on the high side.

The head really puts out a warm and rich sound, and has paired up well with everything I have tried it with. The Walkabout cabinet is very good too. Be sure to choose a 4 ohm cabinet if using only 1, you'll get the full 300W out of the head.

3. $695. CDN is not bad if it's in good shape. L&M has them used quit often around the same price. Are they over $1000, CDN retail these days? ..... Cab wise anything would work. Look around for an older TL single front ported EV 12". They run at 8 ohms so you could add another when you're ready. You might pay only $200 plus for one of those. But make sure it's got a EV speaker in it. Another thing is to buy a good 12 EV used and build a cab.

4. matheo

matheo

Nov 5, 2006
    I verified and it is used BUT it is 650$ instead of 689$. It is suppose to be in very good condition. The problem is that I would go for the walkabout combo but it is 1650$ where I live. It is to expensive.

So I can ge a used head for 650$. I need more advices on this. Thanks a lot for your reply and for the tips.

5. matheo

matheo

Nov 5, 2006
    What do you mean about an older TL single front ported EV 12". Sorry, I don't have a lot of knowledge concerning specific terms when it comes to amps. Thanks for your help :)

6. Go for $650. you'll be happy with it, it's a great amp. A TL is a bass cab design, look on line or ask around. They're small 16" squared, roughly, and really kick it out. But you need a good speaker. That's why I suggested an EV. I have one I've been using over 20-years and only rebuild it once, and it came used. I live near Toronto so there's lots of old gear around. Not sure where you live. But by something worth buying. Not something you'll replace next year.

7. matheo

matheo

Nov 5, 2006
    I live in Quebec City. In worse case I'd go to Montreal to pick the cab. I guess I could find one here too.

I need to go to the store later today to check if the amp is in good condition. If so, I might buy it considering the brand and the good price

Thanks again

8. emblymouse

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Are you concerned about size/ weight? What kind of tone are you looking for?

9. matheo

matheo

Nov 5, 2006
    I'm not concerned about size. I know the Walkabout combo is not heavy and has a great sound. I play different kind of music inclunding rock and jazz.

If I could find a cab that is not too heavy, I would be perfect. Any recommendations?

Thanks guys, this is really helpfull!

10. emblymouse

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Here is one to consider, it's on the for sale listings here on TB:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=469314
    I have no connection with this ad, but I did own one of these and used it w/ a Walkabout. It is very solid, classic speaker cabinet. There are a lot of them around used, they have been on the market for many years. Yes, I do endorse them but many others would agree w/ me I think. About 50 lbs. Only 8 ohms though, so your Walkabout will only be using 1/2 it's power. You can always add another cabinet later if you need to.

11. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    you can find used Mesa Powerhouse 1x12's and older style Mesa Diesel 1x12 cabs for under $400, depending on condition. I can confirm that these cabs sound great with the Walkabout.

I run mine standalone mostly. Sometimes I beef the overall output with a Mesa Scout 1x15 extension. I play Jazz, funk, fusion and worldmusic styles (mostly) but have used the Walkabout for just about any kind of gig (other than metal or hard/blasting rock).

If you look at the Walkabout Mega-thread here on TB, you will see that others here have paired the Walkabout head with many different cab combination's with great results. It's such a great little amp !

FWIW, not a commercial or anything, (mods, I am a registered user) but I have a used PH 1x12 that I do not use. ;)

good luck

12. matheo

matheo

Nov 5, 2006
    Hi again,

It's just a comment concerning the color of my new Walkabout head. Letters on mine are red and I haven't seen any other like that on internet.

Does anybody know why? I'm curious :)

13. Everything on mine is a dark red, kinda like a blend of red and brown. And the font for the controls is an antique or bone white. Mine also has a red jewel above the power switch.

I know mine is old. I talked to the mesa tech a while ago. He said there are 5 or 6 updates for my unit. Soon I will be taking it in. I think I'll do most of them. But I don't want the active passive switch. I like the two input jacks.

14. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The red ones are a little older. Check the serial number, contact Mesa and find out how old it is and what updates it needs.

Don't let the age scare you off. It's one of the best sounding powerful amps I've ever owned. Reliable too and that 300 watts goes a long way.