1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa Walkabout, M-pulse, M9

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HipCity, Aug 21, 2012.

1. HipCity

HipCity

Oct 26, 2011
    Hi

I have a Walkabout 12 combo and think it´s the best sound I have ever experienced. Now I would like to get an amplifier with more output to use with other cabs. What is the opinion about other Mesa amps like M9 or M-pulse, which one is most similar to Walkabout. Are there other amps you have tried that nails the Walkabout sound.
    /Hugo

2. A lot of people would like to know the answer to that one. :) a 600 watt WA would be on a lot of people's shopping lists.

The MPulse range is supposed to be the more powerful version but doesn't really sound the same..... but FWIW I actually prefer the sound of the MPulse.

3. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    The quest to get the Walkabout tone at higher SPL is a steady theme in the WA megathread. Let me save you a long tour through the ~7300+ posts there: The consensus is that Mesa's other amps don't sound like the WA, so it's not as simple as swapping up for, say, a Mesa M9.

In its combo form, the SPL bottleneck is the speaker/cab. TB users (including yer humble narrator) find that the 12" combo cab (loaded w/ *either* a 4 ohm or 8 ohm driver) is about as loud as it's going to get with amp's gain and master both @ ~ noon.

To get louder, options include:
    • Use a Radiator extension cab (or second WA combo cab minus the head) under your WA combo
    • Send the DI or cab-mic signal to a PA for FOH and (optionally) stage wedge support.
    • Send (or split) the DI signal to a clean pre-amp-->large power amp-->relatively flat stage cab
    • Simply remove the WA head from the combo cab and drive more capable cabs with it. The amp gets considerably louder atop of a 2x12 (or two), a 4x10, 1x15 (or two), 6x10, or 8x10. :bassist:

4. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Totally agree with your last point - I run out of gas pretty quick with my WA through a 210 on a loud stage. But I primarily play it through a 412, and have never had to push it to noon with that cab. Huge, loud tone. If you don't mind the schlep, it's a great solution.

5. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Per above, if you want loud Walkabout tone, you need a bigger cab or more cabs. M9 and MP600 are great heads, but do not sound like the walkabout.

6. Mehve

Mehve

Jun 2, 2012
    Kitchener, ON
    Is there any consensus in those 7k+ posts about how much of the WA's tone is from the power section? That is, can you get the real thing from a lineout into an external power amp?

7. The WA has a driver tube in the power section which is why the DI out level responds to the master volume.... so the line-out is only part of the story.

8. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Well, the M-pulse 600 is definitely closer than the M9, but still not quite there... IMO, the M6/M9 Carbines are closer to the G-K 700rb-II/1001rb-II line, tone-wise... The M-pulse 600 gets almost as "tubey" as the Walkabout, but with much more power and versatility...

Another amp to check out with your stated goals would be Genz-Benz's Streamliner 600 and 900...

- georgestrings

9. HipCity

HipCity

Oct 26, 2011
    Thanks for the input.
    Saved me from spending the week reading the +7k walkabout thread!

10. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I (and others) have tried this, but it won't get you all the way there. It sounds good as a pre, but in the end, if you're obsessed with getting the exact tone of the WA, losing its' power section will sentence you to "almost" getting it.

I have contemplated running 2 WA heads into 2 large 4 Ohm cabs to get loud, but decided in the end it's not worth it to me. I use an M9 for loud gigs. It's great, and the best head I've had for my hack bar gigs sans FOH, but if a 500 or 800 watt Walkabout was announced I'd have one on order in a picosecond.

11. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    M9...like the 1001?
    I disagree, myself.

The Walkabout is singular. Get more speakers, it's the only answer.

12. SactoBass

SactoBass I like all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    Ya gotta wonder.......is MESA listening???

I have read most of the WA posts on TB, and I agree that there seems to be a tremendous demand for a more powerful amp head that provides the WA tone.

If MESA were to make such an amp, they would receive a plethora of dollars.

"Earth to Mesa......Earth to Mesa........come in.............Mesa!!!!"

13. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    The range of tones on the Big Block 750 and Titan does overlap with the WalkAbout's. Strictly within the M-Pulse and Carbine line, my vote goes to the M-Pulse.

14. midichlorine

midichlorine Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2005
    or you could simply do this when needed:hyper:

f3d58795.

15. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Glorious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Are they 15s or 12s??

16. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Maybe you've posted this elsewhere, but I'd like to hear your description of how that GK head differs from the M9 (The only GK heads I've played are the micros).

17. midichlorine

midichlorine Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2005
    ha!!

12's

2 up top are powered 4 ohms
    and 2 on bottom are 8 ohm radiators.

i know the power distribution is uneven but it works or worked good enough.

i got rid of this for some stupid reason!

ive had every rig under the sun and always go back to walkabouts, i just love em!
    ive played this or a variation of this rig in every situation possible big or small and it always performed flawlessly, which is why im currently selling a aggie rig to get back to this.

except this time im gonna get a walkabout 15 combo 4 ohm and a walkabout 12 combo 8 ohm with a 112 radiator 8 ohm.

see ya in the funny papers gents!!

18. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    As has already been stated, the ONLY way to get Walkabout tone louder than the Scout 12 is to rake the amp out of the Scout, and put it on top of a larger cab. Even a good 4 ohm 212 will be a big volume boost./ A 412 would be a huge boost.

19. 4 x 8 ohm 212"s :)

20. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

No prob - when I was amp shopping to replace my Big Block 750, I *thought* I wanted an M9 - so I checked out both the M6 and M9... To me, they weren't different enough from my 700rb-II to warrant buying either - especially at the cost difference... Now, the M-pulse 600 was enough of a departure from that G-K SS sound that I bought one, and have been very happy with it...

Again, regarding the OP's question - I would say the M-pulse 600 is closer in sound to the Walkabout, whereas the Carbines are closer in sound to the 1001rb-II than they are to the Walkabout...

- georgestrings