Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa Walkabout or Mesa m-pulse 600

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by konfishily, Jul 26, 2005.

1. konfishily

konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    I am torn between getting a walkabout or an m-pulse. I know one is twice as powerful as the other but i need your guys' opinions.

Its gonna be driving a mesa powerhouse 210 and 115

I'm under the impression that tube watts are louder than solid state watts. So i was wondering if the m-pulse would be too much for the 2 cabs to handle?

2. I owned both of these heads at one point. They are both great and very, very tubey sounding for hybrid heads. I found the MPulse600 to be VERY loud into 4ohms, but also found it tended to be a little 'floppy' on the low bass side... I just couldn't get the punch out of it that I got with other hybrid heads that I owned (like the Eden or SWR pro lines). I found the Walkabout to sound much tighter and punchier, and the 300 watts into 4ohms was a loud 300 watts.

So, IMO... if you really like a pure tube amp sound, the MPulse600 is extremely tubey sounding... you would swear that there were power tubes in there. The Walkabout has more punch and 'hybrid' sound to my ear... I actually preferred that.

Both heads were extremely high quality... wonderful metal switches (non of those little plastic chiclet things). I also noticed that they finally put Speakon outs on the 600.

3. konfishily

konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Is it also true that they sound better as you increase the volume? or is that an urban legend?

in that case i would like to keep my speakers non-blown

4. It depends what you mean by 'better'. Just to make sure we are talking the same language... both the MPluse600 and Walkabout are transistor amps with a couple of tubes in the preamp. The change in sound of these amps comes more from increasing the gain of the preamp... not from driving the power section to 'clip' (not sure that's the right term for pushing a tube power section... but you know what I mean) like in a full tube amp. So, you can get an amazing amount of tube warmth by cranking up the preamp gain control and then just reducing the master volume. Either head will drive the two cabs very nicely....

Again, these are not 'hi fi' sounding heads... but if you like a tube-like sound without carrying around the heft of a full tube rig, they are about as close as you will get (again IMO)

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    While I do fall into the camp that believes that a 300w tube amplifier is perceived as sounding louder than a 300w solid state amp, you should keep in mind that both the Walkabout and the M-Pulse 600 are solid state amplifiers with tube preamps (and hence SS watts). Granted, they do use a tube driver for the MOSFETs, but they're still SS amps (though a hybrid head).

Tom.

6. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    I tried the m pulse it was the 360 version and it was great.

I plan to get the 600 at some stage and I'd recommend going for that purley because you don't want to end up in a situation where your not loud enough epsecially if you handed over all that money for a walkabout.

I've experienced that more than my fare share of times, its very annoying.

You never know when you might require a bit more out of an amp. Or what might turn up in terms of new bands random gigs etc.

Go with the headroom. :bassist: