Mesa Walkabout plus Power amp??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kukulkan61, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Inactive

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    My question is, can you use the Walkabout head with a power amp for more wattage and volume and would it still sound and perform the same?

2. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    Yes, you can. You'd use the FX loop to send the preamp to an external power amp. How it would sound would depend on what power amp you'r using, but theoretically a power amp should be transparent.

Why do you think you need more power?

Kukulkan61 likes this.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Honestly, the MOSFET power section is part of the tone to me. It doesn't "react" to your playing to the extent that tubes do, but it reacts quite a bit.

What kind of cabs are you playing through????

I have played mine through ONE Epifani UL410 and it kills small animals at close distances. What kind of volume do you need???

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    Kukulkan61 likes this.
  4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    No, in this specific case it will not sound the same. There is a lot of mojo that happens in the WA power amp, it was never intended to be transparent and is in fact quite "voiced".

Kukulkan61, Al Kraft and mpdd like this.
  5. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Inactive

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    I don’t think I need more power, I was just curious to how it works, if I ever need more power another 8 ohm cab would do to make it a 2.6 ohm load...I’ve just heard of people using a power amp with Tonehammer pedals or even GKs new DI box...

6. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Inactive

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Thank you agedhorse

agedhorse likes this.
  7. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Inactive

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    I use my WA with Subway 15 and 12..I’m sure it’s plenty of volume, I’ll be trying it out this weekend on a gig for the first time no FOH...

8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Do a search for the Walkabout head at 2 ohms. It is discussed at great length here. The original manual said it would do 2 and it was changed for later production runs. Mine is part of a Walkabout Scout stack that is two 4 ohm cabs (making it a 2 ohm load). I have run it that way for several years with zero issues. In my view, the Walkabout head KILLS at 2 ohms. It gets ridiculously loud.

This awful pic doesn't do it justice. It's a really sharp wine color and looks great on stage.
    download.jpeg

freedomryder and Kukulkan61 like this.
  9. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    Lol they caught me with my pants down! :woot:

I should have been more specific, which is to say external power amps (such as the pro audio rack mount stuff) is supposed to be transparent.

Members keepin' TB honest and accurate :hyper::thumbsup:

agedhorse and Kukulkan61 like this.