1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa walkabout question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by seanreiter, Mar 29, 2013.

1. I have the Mesa walkabout scout which is 300w at 4ohms. Mesa offers the Radiator extension cab at 8 ohms. If I ran that alongside of the combo, what would the effect be? I get confused when it comes to mixing ohms. Thanks in advance.

2. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Isn't the Scout combo speaker 8 ohms? If so, running the combo and a 8 ohm cab would net you 4 ohms of resistance.

3. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN

OP clearly stated that the combo was a 4ohm model.

4. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    You can get the combo in 4 or 8 ohms.

OP, basically you're going to want the 8 ohm combo and an 8 ohm extension.

Plenty of guys do run them at 2.67 or even 2 ohms without any issues, but Mesa says don't do it or do it at your own risk.

5. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I have the same rig, except my extension Scout is 4ohms too.

The net effects of running an 8ohm Scout ext cab with the 4ohm Walkabout is a total 2.67ohm load. The other effect will be that, due to the different resistance values (4 vs 8 ohms) both cabs will not get the same power from the amp. In practical terms this will not mean much, but just be aware of it.

Ideally, you will want to try and have cabs whose impedance's are are matched.

Running the Walkabout at 2ohms is not an issue at all. Many players here on TB (including myself) have done so for years without any issues at all. Technically, Mesa has been a bit cagey about this. They say that it can be run at 2ohms, but advise against it, and officially rate it at 4ohms max. Back when the WA came out, several of us spoke to Mesa techs directly and were told that the WA was tested extensively at 2ohms and held up fine. Its really your decision.

Great sounding 2x1x12 set up.

enjoy!

6. If you already own or have a line on an 8ohm extension cab, you could swap out the speaker in your scout to an 8ohm. In one of the threads here someone talked about ordering an 8ohm replacement from Mesa and they got a stock Eminence speaker, don't remember exactly which one... maybe the Kappalite 3012?
    A normal single 12" isn't going to take a huge amount of power before it starts farting out anyway, like 100-150w, whatever its thermal or impedance rating, so you won't be losing much if anything by having the 8 ohm speaker in there.
    Or, since combo cabs with the head removed are more common in the classifieds here than the extension cabs, you could buy one of those used and save yourself some money. You would be running your head at 2ohms, but the walkabout can take it, according to TalkBass wisdom.

7. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    That's me. It was a Deltalite II 2512.

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    If the OP already owns a 4 ohm Scout, the best thing to do is keep it as is for a small portable amp, and go with a larger 4 ohm cab, like a 2x12, to use with the head alone. Mixing a 4 ohm 112 with an 8 ohm 112 could put the Scout cab in danger of over excursion.

9. I think I'm just going to get a 2x12 at 4 ohms. I see that GK and TC Electronics offer affordable cabs with that configuration. I dont know how good they are but worth a shot i guess

10. Dumb question here but if a cab is rated at 400w at 8ohms, can I use a 4ohms head for half the wattage or does it not work that way?

11. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    I've run a Walkabout w/ two 4 ohm WA cabs (2 ohm total) plenty, and both of my WA heads (original red-faced series) are still going strong. The thing to keep in mind is that the cabs aren't going to make full use of that power before they start compressing. I'd be surprised if a WA pushed two 4 ohm WA cabs much louder than two 8 ohm WA cabs.

If you need loud out of a Walkabout, better to go with more speakers and/or more efficient boxes.

12. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I run mine with the 4ohm combo and 4ohm cab all the time. It gets crazy loud. (It's the 15" version.) But honestly I would get a louder cab if volume alone is what you are going for. Keep the combo setup for smaller stuff and get a big honkin cab for larger gigs. I haven;t met a cab yet that the WA head doesn't sound amazing with. That head "plays well with others".

13. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    It doesn't work that way. A head's rating isn't the max watts it will produce; its specs the wattage it will produce with a given input signal into a given load at a given level of distortion. OTOH, cabinet wattage ratings are typically measures of the speaker's thermal limits (which in most cases involve power levels *above* those at which the speakers would be damaged by hitting their excursion limits).

In your example, a Walkabout head could still damage an 8 ohm cab rated @ 400 watts. The head won't produce its 4 ohm wattage into an 8 ohm cab, if it's being fed the same sort of signal used for testing and it's being kept at or below its rated level of THD. However, feed it a stronger signal, jack the low end eq, push the amp into output levels beyond those at which it was rated, and hit it with peaky transients and the amp could still cause speaker damage.