1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa Walkabout revelation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by meursault42, Jan 26, 2012.

1. meursault42

meursault42

Jun 21, 2006
    Always figured this combo couldn't do the musical tube OD. Happened upon this tweak and it sounds fantastic IMO, so figured I'd pass it along in case anyone else on here is getting frustrated with theirs.

Fender P -->

Passive switch
    Gain: between 1:00 and 3:00
    Bass: noon
    Mid: at or near full CW
    Treble: at or near Full CCW

Then use the Para EQ to fit the room. I'll usually use the Low band to roll off some rumbly low freqs. And with a P-bass I'll usually bump ~3db at ~250hz. Warm tubey goodness, to my ear at least.

2. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Got a clip?

3. meursault42

meursault42

Jun 21, 2006
    Nah, just figured I'd throw it on here for people already using a Walkabout. The primary discovery was just with the Mid and Treble knobs. The Mid is passive, so turns out you can really crank it all the way to the right without getting any of the wonky tone that we normally associate with Mid knobs. The treble roll-off is just to tame the (to my ear) less musical splatty sounds that occur when you start pushing the gain forward on this particular rig.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have the head, not the combo, but I could get some great overdrive by turning the master way down, and the gain maybe 90% of the way up. And yes, the parametric EQ's are really great at helping you dial in the best overdrive.

I was not initially blown away by the overdrive on my Titan V-12, but after playing with the parametric mids, I found some really great settings. With a little tweaking, the Titan V-12 sounds closer to the WalkAbout than any other head I have tried.