1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa Walkabout Scout 12"...Good at low volume?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by meursault42, Apr 26, 2010.

1. meursault42

meursault42

Jun 21, 2006
    I'm in the market for a combo amp that can handle rehearsals/small clubs/URB....AND...still sound good at home in the practice room at very low volumes. I tend to lean towards the vintagey vibe, so the first thing that pops out at me is the Walkabout. I'm also considering the Acoustic Image Ten2 and the Phil Jones Suitcase. I think they're all in the same relative price range (e.g. the 'ouch' range). Any thoughts? :help:

2. It sounds GREAT at low volumes. The only downside is that the fan is loud enough to possibly be a bother if you are really playing softly.

Edit (I originally read this as the Briefcase, which is awful). The PJ Suitcase is surely not old school sounding, and the four little drivers put out about the same volume as a single 110... not in the league of the Walkabout or the TC I'm suggesting as an option below.

You might want to consider the TC Electronics Classic450 combo (or the RH450 Combo is you like a lot of features)... warm, tight, a bit old school... not as 'tubey bloomy' as the Walkabout, but really nice, and totally quiet, and sounds great soft. For your application... highly recommended!

3. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I say, no problemo. I use mine everywhere, from the living room to (last Saturday) an outdoor gig. Great amp.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yup, except for the fan, maybe. Great tone at low volume.

5. We are going to have to PM and line up a thread sometime where we disagree, just to keep things interesting:D

6. meursault42

meursault42

Jun 21, 2006
    Thanks, I'll have to check that out. I live in a townhome/apt with many neighbors in close proximity, so I'm a little worried about the Mesa's boominess for practice applications, ya know with the downfiring speaker and all.

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I completely disagree with this. Well, mostly.

8. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I set mine on one of these: http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=DB35&cid=33 just to roll it around, and it would serve as a sounding board, separate from the floor, and not blast the downstairs neighbors.

9. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    That's a great idea!

I put mine on an Auralex Gramma sound isolation pad that decouples it from the floor in my apartment- I can play surprisingly loud and my downstairs neighbors claim to have never heard it (though they have heard my acoustic guitar playing before- fortunately they are fans!

Karl

10. meursault42

meursault42

Jun 21, 2006
    Actually, I'm on the bottom floor, so it's my upstairs and adjacent neighbors that I'm concerned about. But, I do own a couple of Gramma's, so I'll make sure to put those down. Thanks for the input. Now, I've just got to sell some of my old gear, and save some $$!

11. Remember, that 'downfiring speaker' does not produce any sound... it is a 'passive radiator', which is basically another port. It is strictly for tuning the cab and while that 112 is tuned quite low (lots of bass), it behaves no differently than any other cab, and does not require special care when placing it on the floor, etc.

That being said, I personally prefer a tighter tone myself (pure personal taste there) and the RH450/RS210 is a very nice execution of what I call 'old school meets modern' (i.e., warm, not sizzly, mid present, but still tight and articulate, with a nice smooth, clean top end).

However, don't be afraid of the Walkabout Scout because of that passive radiator... you won't even know it is there.

12. meursault42

meursault42

Jun 21, 2006
  13. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
  14. meursault42

meursault42

Jun 21, 2006
    hmmmm...false advertising. tisk tisk. but i'm glad they're still being produced :)