1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa Walkabout Scout 12"...good at low volumes?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by meursault42, Apr 26, 2010.

1. meursault42

meursault42

Jun 21, 2006
    I'm in the market for a combo amp that can handle rehearsals/small clubs/URB....AND...still sound good at home in the practice room at very low volumes. I tend to lean towards the vintagey vibe, so the first thing that pops out at me is the Walkabout. I'm also considering the Acoustic Image Ten2 and the Phil Jones Suitcase. I think they're all in the same relative price range (e.g. the 'ouch' range). Any thoughts? :help:

2. PaperbackRyder

PaperbackRyder Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Maynard, MA
    And love the tone for EB, especially at low to moderate volume levels (SVT for lg gigs). Great old school tube warmth without the mush. Walkabout has tons of bottom with that passive radiator, so I usually roll some off which is lots better than having to add it. For URB I use Fdec's little box to impedance match the input, but one must do that for almost any EB amp. Gotta UB gig later this week with it. Will report back.
    =JR=

3. meursault42

meursault42

Jun 21, 2006
    Cool, thanks for the info. Love the old school, so I think this might be the one for me.

4. PaperbackRyder

PaperbackRyder Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Maynard, MA
    i might also add that i've been thinking of getting a Wizzy 12 and taking the walkabout head for the UB only gigs, for a more mid-forward amplified tone. thinking the wizzy will also blend nice with the bottom of the mesa cab if i need both for a loud doubling job, which is most of the time....