1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa Walkabout Scout 4 vs. 8 ohms

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by daddymax, May 7, 2010.

1. daddymax

daddymax

May 6, 2010
    Looking over specs on the Scout I saw this note, "Above models come standard at 4 ohms for max output, combo use only - 8 ohm versions are available upon request at no extra cost for use with a second extension cab." Does this mean that the standard 4 ohm version cannot be used with an extension cab, but an 8 ohm version can? Anyone have experience with this?

2. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.

I don't own one, but several Scout users have reported using two cabs running at 2 ohms with no poroblems.

3. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I have a 4ohm Walkabout 12 combo, and a 4ohm Scout 15 extension, and have used them for several years now.

The decision to go 8 or 4 ohm on the amp is a bit confusing if you just go by Mesa's material. Strictly speaking, if you expect to use an extension most/all of the time, choose the 8ohm Walkabout. But keep in mind that the 8ohm Walkabout will only do ~165watts stand alone, and only with an 8ohm extension will you get the full 300w the amp can produce.

OTOH, as jnewmark already mentioned, a 4ohm Walkabout will work just fine at 2.67 ohms (with an 8ohm extension) or 2 ohms (with a 4ohm extension, plus when you use it stand-alone, you will get the full 300w out of the combo.

So all of this real world experience tells me that the 4 ohm combo is the best way to go.

good luck.

4. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    ok, the max SPL of various combo goes in the order like this from quiet to loud

1 cab 8 ohm
    1 cab 4 ohm
    2 cab 8 ohm (4 ohm total)
    2 cab 4 ohm (2 ohm total)

Some did report heat issue with the 2 ohm config, but many more says no problem; the few examples I witness had no problem, but I wasn't the one operating, so I don't know how hard it was being pushed.

Or perhaps a 15" combo at 4 ohm, and 12" ext cab at 8 ohm to get 2.6 ohm total. Should be less heat than 2 ohm.

5. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    IMO it makes the most sense to get the 12 combo in 8 Ohm version, because, in reality, the 12 won't fully dissipate the 300 watts and get louder all the way to the limit. It compresses and probably tops out around 200 watts anyway. The 8 Ohm version is very loud, and if you want to put it on top of a larger cab (like a 4 Ohm 212) it will allow for more even distribution of power to each driver. The 12 alone will not be enough to gig with in an average loud rock setting for most users, so an ext cab will come into play. Having said that, 2 Ohm operation is no big deal. I have played my WA cranked to 11 through 3 Ohms all night without trouble or excessive heat.

The above pertains to the 12. The 15 is another animal that CAN make full use of 300 watts and CAN handle even loud situations well on its' own IME and I'd get the 15 in a 4 Ohm.

6. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    The only time I overheated a WAB was an outdoor summer gig in Texas whgere I didnt have enough air circulation...

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yup. It's all true.

8. daddymax

daddymax

May 6, 2010
    Thx all. Much apprecaited.