1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa Walkabout Scout / Ohms Question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wateroftyne, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Hi all

I'm aware that the 4ohm Walkabout Scout can - unofficially - run at 2ohm without any problems if I run another 4ohm cab from it.

But... what would happen if I ran an 8ohm extension cab from it? Would that be a stupid thing to do? What kind of output would I get from it? Or.. would it just blow up?

Thanks in advance!

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I've run my 4 ohm Walkabout Scout combo with an 8 ohm extension cabinet. It results in a combined impedance that the amp sees of 2.67 ohms. The 8 ohm cabinet gets a bit less of the amplifier power of course. Usually it's not enough to notice, unless the 8 ohm cabinet is a very inefficient one. The addition of the extension cabinet, even 8 ohms, has always improved the bottom end and given me much better projection. I've used 4x10's, 2x10s and 1x15s and in one case a 3 way boutique type cabinet with a 15, a 10 and a horn. The end result has always been different but with the extensive eq on the Walkabout I've always been able to get a good sound that I liked.

If the amp won't blow up at 2 ohms it won't at 2.67 ohms. Of course, if you really have to crank the Walkabout with an extension cabinet to be heard, and your eq settings aren't extreme, then you just need more power than the Walkabout will give you. Or, get the band to turn down so you can be heard. The Walkabout Scout, with any good extension cabinet can get very loud and louder than I have ever needed to play. Of course, I don't play metal with 2 guitarists with giant Marshall stacks. But if you have to play that loud and that type of music the Walkabout is probably not a good choice anyhow.

3. Thanks, 62 - that's exactly what I wanted to hear!

I have my 'big' rig sorted. I just need something for rehearsals, small gigs and (perversely) theatres where the monitoring is sufficient. I'd like to drop my extension cab under it if I need too.

I also need a good quality backup head in case anything happens to my #1. The Scout seems to cover all bases.

Thanks again!

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    You're welcome. Your personal taste and availability will help you decide on the best extension cabinet for you. I prefer the sound of a 1x15 in a smaller than optimum cabinet to emphasize the upper bass a bit but even a good 2x10 will do it. With the Scout and an extension I never needed anything bigger, but your needs may be different. I think I've seen some photos of some of your theatre gigs and it looks like you can have a lot of stage area to cover and don't want it too hot in just one place on stage. Anyhow, good luck.

5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    62's experiences mimic mine: I rarely need more than the WA Combo alone provides.
    When I do need more, I either run a Mesa Diesel 115 8 ohm under it; or, pull the head and run it with a bigger cab such as a Henry 8x8, or Schroeder 410.

6. MMStingRay

MMStingRay

Aug 17, 2004
    Michigan
    supported by Hipshot, Diamond strings and Clayton picks
    I didn't know you could run the Walkabout at 2 ohms?? I was looking at a Walkabout 15 but don't like the idea of being stuck with a single cab. What can you add about running @ 2ohms? Does the power go up, fusing issues, what's boogies reply to running at 2 ohms?

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    been covered, many times. search the walkabout mega-thread.

if it concerns you, just order the combo 8 ohms instead of the standard 4, or run an 8 ohm extension..

8. lowfreek

lowfreek Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Central New York
    I will testify from experience that my 4 ohm Walkabout combo, with a 4 ohm 410 added, sounds phenominal and has exhibited no signs of going down, or even working real hard. Its an amazing little feller. :smug:

9. rochishin

rochishin

Jan 23, 2008
    Sorry to hijack this thread but I'm using a walkabout scout 12. On the back of the amp both speaker inputs say 8 ohms, but the cable coming from the internal cab has a sticker with the number 4 on it. How do you tell if it is an 8 ohm version vs. a 4 ohm? I'm confused any help would be greatly appreciated.

10. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I'm pretty sure the std Walkabout build is 4 Ohms, but they can be ordered as 8 Ohm. You can tell what yours is by the model number stamped/printed on the unit.

i.e. WK12.RB.N4 = std 4 ohm unit
    WK12.RB.N8 = 8 ohm unit

As far as power goes, Mesa told me that the Walkabout will produce ~500w at 2ohms, but did suggest that it not be run with the master vol too much past 1/2 way (12 noon, straight up).

As has been posted many times, 2 ohm operation has worked for just about everyone who has tried it, including me. I use my 4ohm Walkabout 12 with a 4ohm Scout 15 extension from time to time and have never had any thermal issues.

The biggest stress test for my 2 ohm set up was this past summer when we played a 4 hour outdoor gig in 106 degree temps. The Walkabout did get more than warm to the touch, but sounded fine and showed no sign of shutting down.

great little amp for sure

good luck

11. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    thats what mine is like (4 sticker on the plug for the internal speaker), and mine is a 4ohm unit.

12. rochishin

rochishin

Jan 23, 2008

Thanks for your reply, I wasn't sure if it was standard(4 ohm) as the one I ended up buying was used and blue sparkle vinyl. I'm off to find that elusive serial number :D

13. lowfreek

lowfreek Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Central New York
    UGH! Earned your pay that day.

My speaker plug has a "4" sticker on it, too. Never noticed until I read it in this thread. Huh.

14. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    ha yes, but out here they like to say ... "yes, but its a dry heat, you don't feel it as much" .... bulls##t!