1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa walkabout scout problem!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by seanreiter, Mar 9, 2013.

1. I've had the walkabout 1x12 for about 6-7 years now and experienced a new problem last night. I just got a Carvin SB5000 and the Mesa started farting when I was playing on the B string and when I drop tuned my E string. I've played 5 strings through it for years and never had this problem.

I'm assuming that the bass boost of the Carvin is a little too much for the speaker to handle. Should this be the case, does anyone recommend another combo amp or possibly an alternate solution? Thanks.

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Probably one of the following issues:

1) sub bass coming through more than your other bass due to the preamp. Dial bass down on preamp and/or head. Might help. A hi pass filter like the FDeck III would also fix this issue.

2) Hotter output. Your 'farting' might be the amp and not the speaker. Turn down the input gain a bit. Also related to (1), since more bass is functionally a hotter signal

3) Tube crapping out in the Mesa... probably not, but if all else fails, might be worth a look.

My guess is it is a combination of 1 and 2 above that can be handled with EQ and gain adjustments.

3. Thanks a bunch. I'll try all of that.

4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Don't be afraid to dial in some additional upper bass/low mids with the lowest semi-parametric band as you reduce the deep bass. You should still be able to get a big, fat low E/B tone out of that combo by reducing the low bass and then boosting up a bit more upper bass to keep it fat.

I would guess the bass boost on that preamp (from my experience with that very nice bass) is the cause.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Many Walkabout users, myself included, find the Scout 12 cab to be the limiting factor on an otherwise awesome amp. Try taking the WA amp out of the Scout, and use a larger spkr cab. The 2x12 format is popular, and really lets the WA shine.