Mesa Walkabout Scout "squeak"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NUN101, Feb 26, 2010.

1. NUN101

NUN101

Jan 12, 2010
    Cleveland
    Hey all,
    I just picked up a mesa walkabout scout (12) and I'm finding that it emits a squeak on notes below the E on the B string. Originally I thought it might have been a whistle from the power cord going across the port, then I thought it was the longer speaker cable, I pulled the slack out.

I took the front cover off to look/hear and it seems like it's coming from the center of the speaker.

Anyone experienced this? Is this a sign I'm pushing too hard? Did I mess it up?

-Marc

2. Sten

Sten

Nov 18, 2001
    Estonia
    I really can't guess much, but does it sound something like a whistle? It could be that there is a small hole somewhere in the cab, where the moving air makest whistling sound. I know for example on some cabs the 1/4" hole whistles so you have to plug a dummy there to stop it.

3. NUN101

NUN101

Jan 12, 2010
    Cleveland
    Good to know, I was checking all around for a leak but couldn't find one. I'll look again.

Squeak anyone?

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Wish I had a brilliant answer, but I do hope you figure it out. One of the greatest sounding amps of all time, though i was never completely happy with mine until I dumped the Scout 12 and started using a 2x12 instead.

5. NUN101

NUN101

Jan 12, 2010
    Cleveland
    Which 212?

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    That's up to your ears. I've had a few, Mesa PH212, Epifani UL2 212, and the winner- Genz Benz Uber 212. My Uber cab paired with the Walkabout is the best sounding "small" rig I've ever heard, let alone owned. And, with the 212, I can play with a full band, without PA support. Bonus. Couldn't do that with the Scout 12, ever.

7. NUN101

NUN101

Jan 12, 2010
    Cleveland
    I tried to pull the speaker to see what I could see but it's pretty stuck on there and I'm hesitant to pry on it. Any tricks?

8. NUN101

NUN101

Jan 12, 2010
    Cleveland
    Could it be the passive radiator? Maybe something is going on inside and the reason I think it's coming from the middle of the speaker is because that's where the sound can come through?

2 of the bolts that hold on the cover for the radiator are loose and I'm assuming I need to get inside to hold a nut to tighten them because they just spin.

Any trick for getting of the speaker?

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021