1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa Walkabout Scout vinyl covering

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FatStrings, Aug 30, 2008.

1. FatStrings

FatStrings

Nov 16, 2001
    Southern NH
    I've had this awesome little combo for a few months now (Got it at GC for a close out price) and I absolutely love it.

My question is about the vinyl covering. Mine has the black Rhino (coarse grain), and every photo I've seen here and in web searches has the same, it's easily identifiable IMO. I just assumed this was the stock covering, no upgrade. Well, I decided I wanted the Radiator extension cab to match, but when I went to the nearest MB dealer I found out that the rhino covering is an upgrade and will cost $179 more to have it on the Radiator cab.

I was wicked bummed out to say the least. I really don't want to pay the extra cash on an already expensive cab, so I ordered it stock with the black Bronco (medium grain). The saleman said he'd speak to the MB rep about it, but was pretty sure that was the case.

Anyone have any insight into this situation? What covering is on your stock Scout? I'm guessing MB switched from Rhino to Bronco as their stock covering sometime in the last year or so.

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I bought mine about 5 years ago and then they were all coming stock with black vinyl covering. Extension cabinets too. I haven't checked out a music store in the last few months to see if there's been a change.

I can't offer any insight into why they changed-if they did. I'd suggest you call Mesa and ask what's going on. Call yourself, so you get the straight goods.

But, even with mismatched cabinets, the sound is great. There's really nothing else like it.

3. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    The standard Mesa vinyl is Black Bronco, not Rhino. Are you *sure* yours is Rhino?

4. FatStrings

FatStrings

Nov 16, 2001
    Southern NH
    Yeah, I know the stock covering was/is black, it's the texture I'm wondering about. I will call MB myself, just wanted to see what others have.

And yeah, I know it's just a cosmetic thing but it's gonna kill me every time I look at it:D

I'm 99.9% sure. I noticed right away when I looked at the Scout 12 and 15 they had on the floor that they were different than mine. They also had the Powerhouse cabs in black Rhino to compare.

Thanks for the replies guys :)

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Mine is black bronco I guess.

6. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    My Walkabout 12 combo is black bronco and so is my Scout 15 extension. I did not order anything custom, and was not even aware that there was a "Rhino" style vinyl covering vs the "Bronco". Just for grins, whats the diff ?

Either way, it's a killer sounding little stack, that's for sure.

good luck.

7. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    you know, I'm not a "custom color/covering" guy by nature, but your post made me wonder. I went to the Mesa site and looked at the 2 different vinyls .. Bronco (std) and Rhino (custom .. "embossed"), and just looking at the samples on the web site, I really could not tell any difference at all.

Just curious, what differences do you see between the two that would make you "kick yourself" over it ?

8. FatStrings

FatStrings

Nov 16, 2001
    Southern NH
    I'm not really into custom things like amp colors either really, I just would like the two cabs to be the same.

The difference is the grain size and thickness. The Rhino grain is about three to four times larger than Bronco and kinda puffed up, where the bronco is flatter.

It's probably just one of those things I'll notice but no one else will. Like when you paint a room in your house and see all the mistakes but no one else even notices.

9. The Growler

The Growler

Jan 26, 2008

Correct. Black Bronco is the basic covering. Rhino, leather, etc. are all upgrades.