Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa Walkabout Scout VS Bass Buster

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sdguyman, Mar 17, 2005.

1. sdguyman

sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    I've got the combo bass buster 2-10 at home. Its a great amp and can be used in almost all types of venues. The biggest draw back is the weight. Its like 125 lbs all TUBED, but its has a ton balls if you know what I mean. How does the 12 inch walkabout scout compare????? I wish I had one close by to check out.

2. Calexia13

Calexia13

May 22, 2007
    Hey Man,
    I got both of them. I bought them used. I have the Buster 15 combo and the walkabout 12 combo. As far as capabilities are, I think that the buster will throw more sound out, I know the buster is 200 watts and the walkabout is 300 watts, but you won't get the walkabout's 300 watts cleanly you'll have to push the gain up high which will give you some grind, which is part of it's character anyways, so if you are looking for clean look somewhere else. I haven't used the buster with a band yet but it rattles with more fattness than the walkabout, I think the walkabout is "tubey" in the sense that it gets grindy, but it still sounds like a transistored amp to me, although some swear otherwise. It just depends on what you are looking for, if you have any specific question feel free to ask.

--Ed

3. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    Ok, I have had both of these amps in the past too. I sold the Buster 200 head to TBer Kenny Allyn, and kept the Walkabout.

Differences ? .. yes .. major.

IME, ironically, the Walkabout sounds much more like a tube amp than the Buster. Note, while opinions will vary on
    'tone", I am an old dog and have played just about every old school all-tube rig you can name at one time or another in my playing life, so I do know a bit about what I am talking about when it comes to tube gear.

I wanted to like, and did like the Buster (head only) to a certain extent. I played it through a variety of cabs (Mesa PH 1x12, Scout 1x12, Scout 1x15, Aggie GS115, and all of the above in various combinations). Oddly, to my ears, while the Buster had a ton of punch and low-mid/mid presence, it sounded as "quick" as any SS amp I ever played and just did not convey the tube warmness that I seek in my tone. It was clean clean clean, and tight sounding as can be. Now, I also never want outright distortion . ever . but this amp was just too SS sounding to me.

Oddly, the hybrid Walkabout really does the trick for me. It really shows its tube pre character, sweet tube compression (but not break-up), along with a very warm overall sound (most likely due to the amp and the passive radiator design of the combo: thick lows, nicely present, but never clanky mids, and just as much top end as is needed.

Another thought is that I don't know if I would plan to do a ton of modern slap on the Wakabout, but I feel like the Buster would handle that just fine. I believe that Flea used a Buster (or was it a D-180?) in the early RHCP days.

Contrary to what was stated in another post above, IME (and it's a lot of experience) the Walkabout can also do a nice clean and warm tone just fine. Run the pre level under 11 o'clock, even all the way down to 9, and put the Master whererver you need it, and it will be warm and clean all night long.

Otherwise the major difference is weight. As was said, the Buster 15 combo weighs in at well over 100lbs (!!) and the Walkabout comes in a 47lbs. So, you have to decide how you feel about that.

Both amps are very nice, but they are very different and, oif course, the best way to figure this out for your tone needs is to try them both if you can.

good luck