Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa Walkabout Scout

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lawndart, Apr 4, 2004.

1. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    I was at my LGC yesterday and i played thru a 12" Scout. I love the size and weight (lead singer hardly helps load/unload) But I'd like it to sound a bit louder or have more bottom. Would the 12" extension cab help with this or go with the 15" combo. Has anyone tried a 12" combo with a 15" extension cab? 99% of the time we're either miked or DI'd. Thanks

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    You wouldn't gain much if you add another 12" except volume. I guess that could give the impression of more low end, but a 15" would be better, methinks.

For what it's worth, I think the Scout puts out plently of low end as is. GC isn't exactly the best place for critical listening.

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    It's a moot point since you cannot add an extension cab to the Scout. The internal speakers are 4 ohms and the head can only handle 4 ohms. You would have to add the extension in series, and this would make the amp quieter :(

4. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    on their website as well as another forum poster said that they can be ordered in 8ohm configs. Plus on the Mesa website they have pics from the 04 NAMM with a 15" Scout ontop of what looks like an extension cab.
    http://www.mesaboogie.com/amplitudes/2004/NammJan04/walkabout-15.htm
    Anyhow Im going to call them see if they can give me some advice.

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Good idea! My information came from a salesman at a music store. Sometimes their "it only comes in 4 ohms" means "we only sell the 4 ohm version" or worse "we only have the 4 ohm version".