1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa walkabout volume issue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lowendmetal, Dec 15, 2017.

1. lowendmetal

lowendmetal

Jan 30, 2013
    Hello tb land! Im having an issue with a used mesa walkabout i picked up right here on talkbass's very own classifieds. I love this little monster, and it spent a hard summer gigging (20 + shows since i got it last spring, lots of time riding in a van with some stanky dudes). Recently however, it's started having volume issues -i have to have the master volume cranked to max and then use the gain knob to get any sound out of it. Any pointers on where to start would be much appreciated. Side note- my first thought was tubes, so i picked up a couple mesa tubes from a local music store. However, if anyone has any different ideas that dont involve me cracking the case (im chicken) im open to suggestion.

2. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    Active bass need batteries? I fall for that trick and blame my amp two out of every three times, haha. You'd think I would have learned to check that by now, but I'm a bit of a "half empty" guy and always fear the bigger problem, overlooking the simple one.

Maybe so much time in smoky bars has tarred up unused connections in the fx loop?

Just some simple things that might exhibit this symptom. Good luck I hope it's a minor fix.

3. This is something I always advise as a first step. Link the Send and Return of the Effects Loop with a short signal cable and see if it helps matters.

4. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    been gigging the crap outta my Walkabout for what must be close to 15 years. Never had a volume issue.
    Please do try what BassmanPaul suggested. The older versions without the FX loop switch have had reported issues with the contacts getting corroded and causing volume/noise issues. Hopefully that will fix your problems.

It sure is a great amp. I have been playing mine more and more (over my more recently purchased Demeter VTBP-M-800DJ) and am just in love all over again with the WA tone. It still has a clean volume/top end issue, but I am trying to work around that.

good luck.

5. After the fx loop check. ..& fix .. I'd always try the tubes.
    I've had various small problems solved by checking out and, if necessary ...replacing one of the pre amp tubes

6. lowendmetal

lowendmetal

Jan 30, 2013
    Thank for the replys. I called mesa and the fx loop bypass was what they suggested (Tim i think?). Tried it, still have thd issue, so i think tubes are the next step

7. Furious_Man77

Furious_Man77 Low frequencies since 1997

Jul 5, 2010
    Indiana
    Hopefully the transformer isn't failing.

8. agedhorse

agedhorse SUSPENDED Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    That's not a symptom of a failing transformer.

OP, if you continue to have troubles, contact our service dept., we will help you get this resolved.

lowendmetal likes this.
  9. lowendmetal

lowendmetal

Jan 30, 2013
    You guys rule. Side note, this gives me a reason to bring my big block 750 to practice.

10. Furious_Man77

Jul 5, 2010
    Indiana
    Sure it is. I just bought a replacement toroidal for a similar hybrid amp. That was the symptom.

11. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    I suggest that you just might not know what you are talking about.

Your guess us about as wild as replacing an engine to fix a flat tire.

BassmanPaul likes this.
  12. Furious_Man77

Jul 5, 2010
    Indiana
    I suggest you don't know everything.

This is what a transformer looks like when it runs at partial power due to an internal short. It runs the amp but depending on the where the short is in the windings determines what power it might be producing.

13. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    If it isn't the tubes, then it may be a mosfet issue - although as always, taking advantage of Mesa's stellar customer service will get you sorted out...

lowendmetal likes this.
  14. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    Just out of curiosity, what amp is that out of?

15. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    I suggest that a proper transformer and amp design included protection from these sorry circuit effects... but what the hell do I know about this stuff after designing amps and transformers for ~40 years?

To have a "partial short" that would produce these symptoms would be akin to winning the lottery but with worse odds.

Gearhead17, 40Hz, rodl2005 and 2 others like this.
  16. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    If your gut says don't pull the cover, don't pull the cover. Do as agedhorse says and call back. With an amp that nice, you might want to get it to a good Mesa authorized tech, or better yet, ship it back to it's birthplace.

lowendmetal likes this.
  17. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    If it were me, I would definitely ship it to Mesa before I'd have anyone else work on it - shipping for an amp like that wouldn't be that expensive, and you know you'd be getting back a perfect amp...

lowendmetal and BadExample like this.
  18. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    I agree! Might cost less too, as well as maybe free upgrades depending on how old it is.

19. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    Yup - when the DI on my M-pulse 600 got fried, Mesa fixed it under warranty, and upgraded the output transformer... I think the only thing it cost me was shipping one way... This bassist will be playing Mesa Boogie for the rest of my playing days!!!

One Way, lowendmetal and BadExample like this.
  20. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    The earlier versions often had a fx loop bypass switch installed by Mesa if the user sent it back. Mesa has excellent and knowledgeable service people. Call 'em up and send it in.

This is one head that you should do everything you can to keep it in service. Destined to be one of the greats if not already.