Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa Walkabout Vs Aguilar AG500 ????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jablues, Mar 10, 2006.

1. jablues

jablues

Oct 17, 2005
    Seville, Spain.
    Hi all,

I really need to buy a light amp to play in small/medium venues and I think maybe can have some help from someone here. Don´t care the power (300w or 500w), just the SOUND.
    Any help ?
    Thanks guys!!

2. jablues

jablues

Oct 17, 2005
    Seville, Spain.
    :bassist: Ok, I play Rock.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    These are two very nice sounding heads. I would put them on roughly equal, but different, footing. The Walkabout has tube warmth and complexity, but with a smooth, articulate presentation. The AG500 does have some 'grit' and warmth to it, but on the whole, it's more dry sounding. Both are 'clean', and both are reasonably 'transparent', though both do color the tone a bit. I'd say the Walkabout is perhaps more 'colored', but it still does a respectable job of translating the character of the instrument (and cabs), and it has some nice harmonic richness to it. I have more experience with the Walkabout, but every time I have played an AG500, I have been very impressed. The overdrive on the 2-channel model is very good, and reminiscent of my Fulltone Bass-Drive.

I know you stated that this was not important to you, but I do think that the AG500 will get you noticably more real world headroom with its 500 watts.

Hope this helps, Tom.

4. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

James,

There is a Aggie 500 up for grabs in the for sale forum (he would prefer to make a trade). Also, I know how you can score a new one for $930 shipped (Um, I just did and am selling yet another head to pay for it, sheesh....). I had the AG500SC for a while and loved it, but had a need for something that could do 2 ohms back then (because of the cabs I had) and also wish I had gotten the dual channel version of the head. Now I'm back to a 4 ohm setup and pulled the trigger. PM for info on the $930 new deal or maybe you can hook up something with the guy in the For Sale forum.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    two channel Aggie kicks major butt. the overdrive channel rocks hard.

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Two great heads. Based on my limited experience with both, I'd go with the Aggie, just for the extra power and a bit more versatility. The Mesa is a fabulous sounding head too, if you like that tone.

7. jablues

jablues

Oct 17, 2005
    Seville, Spain.
    My main bass is a Lakland USA Joe Osborn 4, maybe you tried one of the heads (or both) with this bass and can tell wich is better.
    Thanks anyway :confused:

8. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX

This answer is sooooo right!!:eek: I have owned both and the extra wattage does make a difference