Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa Walkabout vs. Ampeg SVT-4Pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Transverz, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hello all!

So I currently have an Ampeg SVT-4Pro. Great amp. Never had a problem with it (got it used from a great TB'er) aside from the EQ light permanently lit but that's a non-issue. It going into my Schroeder 1210 sounds great.

But of course, it can always get better! Hence my Mesa Walkabout "infidelity" issue. Which would you prefer if you were between the two?

I'm going to assume from my searches and readings that the quality of sound and build is there from both of these fine amps. And since sound is subjective, I guess what I'm really asking is:

Are they interchangable in terms of volume and loudness? This is going into my 4 ohm Schroeder 1210 (of which I plan to add another 1210 which would make it go to 2 ohms...I know, not too long on 2 ohms for the Walkabout).

And yeah, that Ampeg SVT-4Pro (1200w @ 4ohms) + Sansamp BDDI + Schroeder 1210 can get LOUD LOUD LOUD! It's just that I heard the Walkabout is very conservatively rated and not to take those 300watts so lightly.

So, is this a trade-up or trade-down?

Any opinions is extremely welcomed...thanks!

-T

2. Brennan

Brennan

Sep 29, 2004
    San Francisco
    Man I wasn't interested in the walkabout until i tried one. That sucka is pretty loud. Also it has a real punchy warm sound unlike some hi-fi stuff that I've used (and love but...). Also, I heard the walkabout is pretty good with 2ohms unlike thier other amps. I had that monster ampeg and truthfully never really dug it. It never felt like 1200 watts to me. It could be because it wasn't great w upright or that it wieghed a ton. Anyway i got rid of it. I havn't pulled the trigger on the walkabout because I'm thinking of getting a AI focus for the mic channel, portabilty ect. I ABed them in the shop (Focus w 12 bergantino vs Scout) and the boogie was definetly louder and warmer. Anyway, I would recommend trying one. Good Luck

3. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    I got rid of my SVT3 Pro and an Ampeg PR410 and bought a Wlakabout Scout 1-12 Combo and the 1-12 Scout Extension cab. Sounds awesome, much fatter warmer punchier than my Ampeg and WAY LIGHTER and easier to transport. It seems like my Walkabout is as loud or louder than the SVT 3. Give one a try I think you will like it.

4. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    Mebbe so, but the 3pro ain't the 4pro............

1200 to 300 is a pretty good drop.....even if the Mesa 300 is really almost 400 (don't know that).

Difference is 6dB, which means "about" half volume to your ear....(no flames please if you are a "10dB'r" and not a "6dB'r").

5. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Funny, but I see where both sides is coming from...

True, I've most times felt that 1200watts on both my old 4x10 and my current Schroeder 1210 should be louder.

Then again, 1200 to 300 does seem like I would notice a drop-off...

Both true? Maybe, maybe not.

I have indeed heard the Walkabout on 2 or 3 occassions both at a music store and at Jorg Schroeder's studio. And yes, I agree, "that sucka is LOUD". But unfortunately, I wasn't able to test run it at my own environment or at a show. So I wasn't able to compare. Darn. And it looks like I won't be able to afford to hear a Walkabout in my own situation until I sell my SVT-4Pro. Double darn.

But in another thread, the esteemed Mr. Benjamin Strange has stated that his Walkabout had very comparable volume to his Mesa Boogie 400+...WHOA! And so it seems, he likes to rock out.

Sorry to name-check like that without permission, but that is quite a statement. Has anyone had that same experience?

-T

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    This is true. Wow, my name seems to get dropped in every Mesa related thread. It makes me feel famous. ;)

It should be noted that a 400+ and a Walkabout are rated at the same wattage: 300 watts. I was A/Bing the Walkabout 12" Scout vs. my BassTriaxis/Strategy 500/15"/18" rig, and they were about the same volume, which is stupid loud. I was surprised, and wondered why they hell I was playing a 300 pound rig.

7. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    Good points Smash. I didn't mean to compare the SVT3 to the SVT4, just trying to give a point of reference. I notice a big difference in the bass I am using as well. My Spector seems to have the magic pill with the Walkabout Scout, it sounds awesome. Again I have only used the Walkabout head alone twice. Once with my PR410 before I decided to sell it (cause I didn't feel I needed it anymore) and once when the guy at the music store was trying to make the head fail. It was plugged into a Boogie 4x10 and a Boogie 1-15 and it was sick loud. It may have died after an hour or two but for 5 or 10 minutes it did fine, but may have caused passer bys internal damage :D . I have never turned it up over about 6 so it may be nothing left between 6 and 10, and it does get loud fast, most of the time the gain is on about 6 and the master volume is at 4. Again this is thru the Scout cab and extension which are awfully rumbly.

8. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Hmmmmm...... the 4PRO is NOT "ambitiously rated" at 1200watts........if that was the implication intended.............

1200 watts is what you get.

I don't know where the rumour started that Ampeg ratings are inflated....

It is not true...........end of argument. Done. Over with.

9. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    ampeg's ratings definitely aren't inflated. my bass teacher's 112 combo (100 watts) is pretty goddamn loud for such a small combo. puts my fender bassman 60 to shame.

10. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

I know for a fact that this is true. Way back when there was a discussion about this here, so to put an end to it, I took mine in to have it tested, and Ampeg is true with their ratings. Nuff said.

11. Well I have never heard nor tried the Mesa, BUT..I have a SVT4Pro into 2 810cabs and let me tell you THAT SUCKA FREAKIN ROCKS!!! I mean it used to be the guitar player running over me and since the SVT4 purchase I havent met a guitar player even come close!!! Actually most clubs I play I cant really streach her legs but I know its always there if needed...I love my AMPEG and my setup I have, and have never really wanted to purchase anything else since and I've been running this rig for 7 years. but to each their own and this is just my own opinion :) so good luck Bro in ur search :bassist:

12. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    Tone-wise the WalkAbout wins. Volume-wise the Ampeg wins. But those Schroeders are supposed to be loud/efficient. I'd imagine a WalkAbout into a loud 4 ohm cab like a Schro would do quite well for all but the loudest gigs and then you should be in the PA anyway. That was my experience with a WalkAbout into two Avatar 1x12 cabs.
    IMO.

Tom H.

13. I play Gallien-Krueger, but out of the two you mentioned I would go with the Mesa.

14. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    Moe84. The Walkabout Scout combo weighs 49 pounds and my 1-12 extension weighs 35, so with my Incase gigbag strapped on my back I can carry my entire rig easily in one trip. Now when you finally roll in the SVT 4 and 2 810's you can promptly BURY me :) My rig sounds great and is very loud and portable, but it can't compare to the massive volume your rig must pump out!

15. Hey Humble, thats cool and I looked and looked to no avail of trying to find a small rig but I just never found one that gave me the sound I was lookin for and not get lost in the mix of the guitars...Dont get me wrong here I am not saying ya cant get that sound u look for I just couldnt,,I am not downing small, ez to pack rigs,it just didnt work out for me...It really aint that bad for me unless we have stairs(lol)I have a pickup with a shell on it so it takes about 15 mins total to load in and load out if I keep on it if not about 25 if i drag my feet..lol..after 7 years ya get this sh*t down to a science :D
    ROCK ON BRO :bassist: