Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa Walkabout vs. Markbass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Drake Kennedy, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Hey, I'm in the market for a lightweight, compact bass amp. I'm leaning towards a tube preamp, but I bet there are some great SS tones out there too. I plan on power-amping it, so really what I'm looking for is great tone, and lightweight. I decided not to go with just a pre- because I'd like to be able to use it alone.

The first two that came to mind, the Mesa/Boogie Walkabout, and almost any of the Markbass heads, are what I'm considering. If you know of any other good amps in that category, I'd appreciate any suggestions.

I plan on making this a poll if I can get some other good suggestions. I'm sure SWR and other manufacturers have something in this range, but I don't know of it.

Thanks

peace

2. I see how it is, no one posts on my topic...*sniff*

cough I mean bump. Yeah thats it.
    I've heard that markbass amps aren't available in the U.S. as of yet, so that seems out. I've seen some great deals on the Mesa, so I'm leaning to that. I think the SWR equivalent is a 350 watt x series, but there could be something better. C'mon people!

3. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    I tried a SWR x series amp as well as an M pulse 600(which I now own) I much prefer the tone from the m-pulse, which I imagine is a similar amp to the walkabout

I find the m pulse can have great tones but only at low volumes I find it starts to get to dirty and break up too much for my liking once you turn up to gig level. So I have thought about down grading to a walkabout and buying a power amp which would give alot of head room and probably some much nicer tones.

4. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Also theres a walkabout megathread knocking about here, so you might like to check that one out.

5. Thanks a lot, I think that, and since it's "walkabout season" again on classifieds, I think that's how I'm gonna go. Unless of course you'd be willing to..uh... give me your m-pulse?
    Didn't think so.

Peace

6. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Im not 100% happy with m pulse so I dont think I could do it in good conscious.

I would really recommend trying out what your going to do before making any cash commitments(and make sure you crank it could and loud so you know what tis like in gig situations). Mesa stuff really isnt for everybody

7. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Contact Dave at www.clubbass.ca and he can sell you a Mark Bass head at a great price and send it down to you...no problem
    They are great amps!!!

8. Are there any other quality amps in that price/weight/tone/power range? I really like the mesa tone and stuff, tube tone is just so fat. Is there a slave out or anything on the walkabout, and is there a headphone jack? If no on the slave, does it have speakons or 1/4" outs?
    Thanks
    peace