Mesa Walkabout

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gilsonite, Jan 18, 2003.

1. I am just wondering if any TB'rs are presently using the Mesa walkabout, and to share any opinions on power, gig volume ,etc...
  2. You'd be hard pressed to find a better amp. It's lightweight (13lbs), rugged, very powerful for 300 watts (it's not an exagerated rating), and delivers great tone. From clean and clear as a bell to a great overdriven tube grind this little baby does it all. The eq is both simple to use and VERY flexible. There are both passive and active inputs and the DI is adjustable from the front panel.

I've got it coupled to an Aguilar GS-112... if you needed serious volume you'd need to do two of them.

I have no real complaints. I love this little amp and its portability. My whole rig (amp, speaker cab and bass) weighs less than 75lbs and it sounds like the Voice of God to boot! :cool:
  3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'm using the same rig for Jazz and Blues.

Mesa Walkabout and an Aguilar 1x12. On ocassion, I'll take an EA 1x8 to give it a little more definition, or a second Aguilar 1x12 for extra meat, and to drive it to 4 ohms, but I find the one 1x12 works great by itself.

I keep the EQ pretty much flat, and the semi-parametric works great to cut out some of the buzz from the flourescents in the main room that I play in.

Something very nice about the amp in one hand, the cab in the other, and the bass in a gig bag. One trip load ins (and, more importantly, load outs) are a beautiful thing.
  4. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Just came from the N.A.M.M.
    show. Bad news, I finally found
    out the walkabout is rated at about
    175 watts into 8ohms. The good news.
    Mesa is coming out with a LITE 1x12
    box that the amp slides into flush.
    Just pick the whole thing up and go.
    You'll be able to buy it with amp in,
    or a cab with opening to retro fit. If
    you want to use the amp or box alone
    just take the amp out. Looks cool.
  5. what's bad about that?
    It's more than i expected.
    It's rated at 300w into 4ohms, so i would think it would be 150w into 8ohms. :rolleyes:

I didn't have a chance to really test my new walkabout yet, since i've been traveling allot theses days, but so far soo good, really nice tones out of it. I really like that 3 band EQ, even without the parametric it works great.
  6. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I guess I'm just dissapointed
    because 175 watts is not much
    headroom with one box. Most of
    my boxes are 8ohms. The amp
    sounds good but craps out a little
  7. Well, it's suposed to be a small amp, for small/medium gigs.

And you could always take 2 boxes:D