Mesa WD-800 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CD Thompson, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Bass friends ... I recently purchased the Mesa Subway D-800 + and now less then a year later Mesa has come up with the WD-800 Amp that features a tube pre amp and parametric eq. I'm having a blast with D-800 + so why would I want to upgrade to the WD (?) I'm rolling a Subway 115 Ultra lite Cab and soon to add the 210 on top. Other then a severe case of GAS (that I usually can control) why should I or shouldn't I upgrade (?) Also is this an upgrade or just a different animal of an Amp (?) Thanks for your wisdom and wit in advance.

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Maybe you shouldn't... the WD-800 is not an upgrade of any sort. The WD-800 specifically addressed the desires of those who really liked the Walkabout but found it just wasn't enough amp for their needs. Turns out, there were a lot of players who tried the WA and liked it but it wouldn't stay clean enough for their gig volume so they moved onto a different amp (some use Subways, but others use different brands/models). It's a different animal that will have some familiarity and comfort to both Walkabout AND Subway players depending on your particular tastes.

wave rider and CD Thompson like this.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Just different. They are both great amps.

CD Thompson likes this.
  4. willsellout

willsellout I apologize in advance. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I've hear the WD. I found it to have more flavor than the relatively clean D800 and D800+. It is sort of an upgrade with some additional benefits and controls, but overall it's more of a different flavor. I had the D800 for a while and just recently sold it. I just didn't get a long with it. I do prefer the WD. Then again I really liked the Mpulse 600 and Walkabouts and I think I prefer some baked in tone to my amps. I'm weird.

CD Thompson and agedhorse like this.
  5. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    The bigger size is a "non-starter" for some players. Upgrade in in the eyes of the beholder

CD Thompson and willsellout like this.
  6. Thanks for the post reply ... I’m playing very clean and able to with the flip of the switch on the D-800 + It gives me a choice between that brighter tone and a more understated one. Parametric EQ sounds intriguing although not enough to push me towards going for the WD.

agedhorse likes this.
  7. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I tried a WD-800 yesterday. I was VERY impressed. So much that I am considering selling my GK MB Fusion 800. I am a former Mesa Walkabout Scout Combo owner and that was a great amp. But I could not quite get enough clean headroom as many have said. I am not saying the WD-800 is a more powerful Walkabout. But the similarities are there with the advantage of more power and lightweight. I really loved it and anticipate buying one. I tried the D-800 Subway next to it and did not care for that amp.

pmad_bass and agedhorse like this.