1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa WD800 Issue (not really...)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Geri O, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Geri O

Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    I've installed my WD800 into a cool tweed-covered rack, but I've run into a dilemma...

As the amp's power switch is on the back, I have to reach inside the back of the rack to access it. Arghh..

Yeah, big real-world problem, I know....:D

I love the 8-lb weight of the amp (you big-iron freaks might, or not, be happy to know that the Mesa rig sits next to an SVT-CL 810 that does get a little use), but the rack already weighs more than the amp. I was considering a rack-mount Furman or other so-called power center since I need a few extra outlets, but then it will weight even more with that. Which won't be the end of the world, I guess.

Well, that's all....:D

agedhorse likes this.
  2. Geri O

Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Actually, I think I have the answer....

Get a nice 20A rocker switch or something similar and a proper enclosure and add the switch to one of the rack-mount panels. Connect an IEC cable to the switch with a proper strain relief and do the same with a 14-gauge cable and male 120V plug.

Or go the simple route, get a power center from Furman and leave the rack panels unmolested. And deal with the extra little bit of weight. I guess....

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    flojob likes this.
  3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Hey Geri - I have a dozen or so 1U rack mount power strips, some with lights. If you need one (or more), I'll make you a deal ;)

Josh Pelican and Geri O like this.
  4. Keger Jupit

Keger Jupit Inactive

May 10, 2018
    The Great PNW!!
    See, this is why everybody around here likes you so much @agedhorse You're just a class act!

5. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Leave the switch on, and get power when you plug the 3-prong in.

6. Geri O

Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    I considered that. I can’t think of a reason to not do this, after making sure the cab(s) are connected and the volume is turned down.

And this is what I’ll be doing with the Furman that I’m about to get.

7. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    yeah, this is among the reasons why I am hesitating to move my WD800 into the Walkabout headcase. Added weight and access to the back panel ports and switches. Aside from the power switch access issue, I already flip between 2ohm and 4/8ohm pretty regularly, and I can imagine twisting the neutrik speaker connection could be a pain with the back of the amp recessed so far into the head case.

OTHO, I'll bet the WD800 looks pretty cool in the OP's tweed rack, and I'm sure it would look great in the black Walkabout headcase too.

Geri O likes this.
  8. Geri O

Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Yes, it does, thanx! And yes, yours will!

There's enough room to leave the power cable (attached to the Furman anyway) and the speaker cable in the rack.

Yeah, I'll just have to deal with that pesky (not really) 2-ohm/4-ohm switch when necessary.

WD_Rack.jpg

agedhorse likes this.
  9. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I have mine in a Gator GR shallow rack. Keeps it lightweight. Love this rig!!

Attached Files:

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 23, 2020